H1B Quitting job after get Married

Discussion in 'How to start the green card process' started by alex1980, Apr 25, 2012.

1. alex1980

alex1980 Junior Member

Hello,

Can I quit my job and still stay in the USA after getting married?

We didn't start the I-130 and I-148 process yet.

But I read somewhere that after getting married I have 180 days to stay in the USA even I quit my job to get started on that process.

Is that true?

My husband lives in another city and we want to live together ASAP...

Thanks
  2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: H1B Quitting job after get Married

If your husband is a U.S. citizen, then you really don't have anything to worry about.
  3. alex1980

alex1980 Junior Member

To make sure we are good, if my job is ended before we start processing the Green Card. Should I file for a change of nonimigrant status to my other visa (tourist B)? How that works?
    Let's say my job is terminated in a week, and I file today for my status to change to my other visa... will I be out of status while I wait for the change happens? I heard it takes about 3 months for that to be approved... what happens in between that time?
    Thanks for your help
  4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Technically, you are out of status when you stop working. Since you are marrying a U.S. citizen, and will be immigrating on that basis, your status violation is not a problem. You are still eligible to get a green card. You don't really need to do a change of status.
  5. alex1980

alex1980 Junior Member

Thank you for your reply Ron. That makes me more relaxed. Yeah, my husband is a citizen. Thank you for your advise.