1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H1b Extension Filed Late

Discussion in 'General nonimmigrant visa issues' started by Salahuddin Mohammad Masum, Jul 20, 2017.

Can my College grant me the 240 days of extension?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Not Sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Salahuddin Mohammad Masum

Salahuddin Mohammad Masum New Member

Hi Ron / Forum Members

I teach at a 2-year State Community College as an Associate Professor. I just finished my 3rd year of H1B. My College mailed the I-129 for H1B extension to Vermont Service Center on 5/2/2017. My I-94 expired on 5/7/2017. Vermont Service Center returned us the I-129 package with a letter dated 5/8/2017 saying that we should send the package to Nebraska Service Center instead of Vermont Service Center. My College received the returned package on 5/12 and mail the package immediately (same day) to Nebraska Service Center. Nebraska Service Center sent us a letter dated 5/18/2017 with a received date of 5/17/2017. Can we assume that my I-129 is filed on time? Can my College grant me the 240 days of extension?

Please note that: In Page 2 of USCIS "Where to File" document, the instruction is given to file I-129 to Vermont Service Center from my state; but on page 8, another instruction was given to file I-129 to Nebraska Service Center if H1B extension is filed with the same employer. So the instruction was confusing enough to have the incorrect filing location/address.

Please advise at your earliest convenience. Thank you in advance!