Hi Ron, Here is my situtation: I am working on the Client A as consultant from last 15 months. my employer is direct vendor for the client. Employer -> End Client. My I94 expires on Jan 12, so we applied for an H1B extension in Dec 2nd week 2015 without a client letter. My project is expected to complete in next 2 months but it may extend but not sure at this point. We also requested client letter earlier and we received one stating March 31st as the End date, We requested for a wording saying "Possible Extension" but they refused to provide as per the policy. I am planning to convert the petition to Premium now as per the current progress, every extension is taking more than 6 months and i may need to travel to India and new project needs to be searched as well. My questions are : 1. Do you suggest if i should go with normal process and wait for 6 months(going by current trend)? If so, what if i get a RFE after 6 months asking client letter and i may not be with the same client. 2. If i upgrade to premium and receive a RFE, my client may not provide letter, would it be suffice if my employer provide the MSA document and a letter from attorney stating client may not issue letter due to policy etc. 3. Lets say if i go in non-premium and my project completes, can my employer submit an Amendment on top of an existing H1B extension petition? What is the chances of approal.. Waiting for your reply eagerly.