1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H.r.2131 Skills Visa Act Placed On House Union Calender

Discussion in 'Immigration legislation' started by Kamakazee, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

I will believe in the "Fast Tracking the Rulemaking process" when I see it. Even after the "Immigration Actions" announcements mentioning the publishing of the H4 EAD rule, they still have not managed it. The Unified Agenda has the Final Action date on the rule as "12/00/14". USCIS has failed to keep its own self imposed deadline.

The only difference in the EA is that the big boys are watching now. Let's see how this rulemaking thing goes. Their track record proves otherwise.

2. ColumbusDude

ColumbusDude Active Member

I agree, eliminating dependents should be an easy fix. But you know what Ron, how about this scenario? Based on EO, DOS makes a rule to eliminate dependents AND Republicans then pass H.R 213! I am getting goose bumps just thinking of that scenario!!

3. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

The first would make the second irrelevant.

4. Kamakazee

Immigration Innovation Act introduced in the Senate.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/229348-senators-eye-immigration-reform-for-tech-workers

The bill includes following provisions:

Green cards
    1. Elimination of per-country limits
    2. Recapture of unused green cards since 1992 and not to waste green card numbers
    3. Exemption from numerical limit:
    • Spouses or children of EB visas holders
    • Masters in STEM
    • Extraordinary abilities
    • Outstanding[​IMG] professors & researchers

Quality of Life
    1. EAD for H-4 (dependent spouses)
    2. 60 days grace period after expiry of H1
    3. Visa Re-validation in US (for H, E, L, O, and P visa)
    4. Dual intent for student visa

H-1B Visa
    1. No caps on H-1 for US Masters or higher degree
    2. Market based H1 Quota increased from 65K to 115K
    3. H-1B quota within 115K (minimum) and 195K (maximum)

5. Ron Gotcher

My only concern is that this makes too much sense and is too reasonable. That, alone, should kill it.

6. Kamakazee

LOL, I am not even sure if I should laugh or cry at your remark. Will the Democratic Senators oppose it as it has no provisions for illegal immigration? I am not thinking about the House or the Presidential veto now. That bridge can be crossed later.

7. Ron Gotcher

8. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

9. Kamakazee

The Republicans will somehow screw it up or the Dems will block it. But I agree, it is the least controversial.

10. Rick D

Rick D Active Member

Sorry if I sound too pessimistic, but any bill that increases immigration by even a small amount is not passing this congress. There is no "wave" of support like the last time and a vocal enough minority to oppose and kill it.

11. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I certainly agree. I have always believed that any bill that increases immigration will fail. Also, I am not saying that this bill will pass.
    When something needs to be legislated the lawmakers look for clauses that they can sell to their voters (at least superficially)

12. Senram

Senram Member

Exemption of STEM for green card and H1b cap will sure kill it. That is like give away. And 195k h1b also deal breaker. I do not understand why no bill is reasonable with moderate numbers so that it can be passed. Most bills are dead on arrival itself. HR 213 is small bill but still that is controversial among rest of world other than Indians and that also difficult to fly.

13. Kamakazee

The thing is whenever a bill starts to take shape, all lobbyists will want a portion of what they want in the bill. Trying to please everybody, the bill takes a shape that becomes unpassable.

14. ColumbusDude

15. Ron Gotcher

If the facts alleged are true, then the DOL should investigate and take appropriate action. Often, in cases like this, the actual facts are at substantial variance with what is alleged. Still, there is a legal mechanism available to report H1B abuses and get the DOL to act.

16. ColumbusDude

I agree. It is not TCS that was laying off citizens and bringing on H1B's. SCE laid off the employees in the IT Department because it 'outsourced' the IT Department, which is what they have confirmed (like a zillion other companies that have already done the same). The very fact that TCS has only 150 LCA's at that address compared to 500 lay offs, it is very clear that they are doing the extremely popular Onsite-Offshore model. Back of the envelope math suggests that 350 jobs have moved to India. Savings to SCE over 3 years could be hefty, even accounting for the charges they woulda taken for the layoffs. This is a movie that we have seen over and over and it ain't gonna go away.

17. gten20

gten20 Junior Member

TCS, Infosys and Wipro are unethical companies. They openly discriminate against US citizens. I would like to know the percentage of US citizens hired by these companies. Forget about being hired.. I would like to know how many US citizens they have interviewed for a position. DOL should investigate them and ban them from applying new visas for few years, if they are found guilty of breaking any laws.

Disclaimer: I really hate them.. :mad:

18. ColumbusDude

Dude, you may be surprised to know that all the US based Big 4 also do the same shit - IBM, Accenture, Cap Gemini, Deloitte. So, you may wanna add those also to your 'hate' list!

19. Ron Gotcher

The sad thing is that the government knows about their abuses but does absolutely nothing about it.

20. Kamakazee

They will look the other way since they get millions in campaign funds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.