1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H-1b Transfer/extension With Approved 1-140 From Previous Employer

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Validity' started by saneguy, Sep 13, 2016.

1. saneguy

saneguy Member

Hello Ron,

I apologize if this was answered earlier but after searching the threads and not being successful at finding the answer, I decided to post a question here. Your response from the last post I had few years ago is sincerely appreciated and hoping to get insight on this one again.

I'm past the six year H-1B period and currently on a one year H-1B extension as I write (my I-140 wasn't approved when they filed for the extension) and my current employer has now applied for a 3 year H-1B extension that is not likely to get approved until June 2017. I'm done waiting for the executive action to be "executed" by USCIS and planning to switch jobs. Once I switch to the new employer, they will have to start a new green card process, but can port my priority date as we know. Here's my question:

I need to ensure my new employer can get a 3 year H-1B transfer/extension so they have enough time to get my new PERM/I-140 approved before my next H-1B renewal is due (else they won't be able to renew my H-1B).
    Will my new employer be able to do a H-1B transfer/extension of 3 years with the approved I-140 from the current employer when I'm currently on a one year I-797 approval? Or would they need me to have a three year I-797 approval with current employer to do that? I'm asking this to decide whether I should do a premium processing of my H-1B extension currently pending and only switch to a new employer after getting a 3 year extension from my current employer.

Thanks and any other caveats you would want me to be aware about are highly appreciated!

2. Eren Yildirim

Eren Yildirim Attorney at Law

Hi Saneguy,

Generally, an approved I-140 from a current company can be sufficient to obtain a three year H-1B approval beyond six years at a new company, (depending on the petition, of course).

However, if the current company's I-140 is withdrawn before the new company's H-1B petition is approved, the new company's petition will be rejected, as an approved I-140 would not exist at that point.

Eren

3. saneguy

saneguy Member

Just want to ensure I understand you correctly.

-->Would I need an entire I-140 copy from my current employer to provide my new employer for a 3 year extension application? My employer is unwilling to give me the approval copy as it belongs to the petitioner. I believe I have a 1-140 receipt number. Would my I-797 approval be sufficient?

-->By withdrawn, do you mean withdrawn by the employer or revoked/canceled by USCIS for fraud/error?

What in your opinion is my best bet to ensure I get a three-year extension with my new employer?

4. Greeeeencard

Greeeeencard Guru

1->Receipt Number is sufficient.
    2-> Any of these

5. Eren Yildirim

Indeed, a receipt number should be sufficient. Also, withdrawn in any sense would result in the inability to get the new petition approved.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with my legal opinion on how you should proceed, as I am not your attorney. If you would like to schedule a consultation, we can discuss your options.

6. saneguy

saneguy Member

Thanks Eren.

Are there any risks related to getting the visa stamped if I travel internationally with a new H-1B I-797 approval from the new employer before my PERM or I140 gets approved for the new employer (considering the fact that I'm past my 6 years on H-1B)?

Thank you.

7. Eren Yildirim

I believe you are asking if you can travel on an approved post-6th year H-1B. The answer to that is yes.

8. saneguy

saneguy Member

If I travel internationally in above scenario, I would have to get a visa stamped from the consulate outside of the US before returning back. My question was specifically around issues with getting a visa abroad with a pending PERM/140 with new employer and being on post 6th-year H-1B.