1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green Card After Eb-2 Niw

Discussion in 'Keeping your green card' started by NYDC, Nov 23, 2014.

1. NYDC

NYDC New Member

Dear Ron:

After getting a green card following an NIW i-140, am I obligated to work in the same field as the NIW application, and for how long?

Thanks...

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

As with any employment based green card, you are expected to have a good faith intention to continue working in the job/field upon which your I-140 was based. You are not locked into that forever, but if you change, the burden will be on you to prove that unforeseen circumstances arose, after you got your green card, that compelled you to change. The closer the change to the date you receive your green card, the higher the bar.

George Goode likes this.
  3. NYDC

NYDC New Member

Thanks for the information Ron. So is there a formal investigation into post-GC work history at the time of citizenship application? and are unemployment gaps allowed?

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

There is no formal investigation of your work history when you apply for naturalization. You do have to list your work history and the officer will have your entire file. If there is a disparity, they will ask questions. Also, post-adjustment audits are increasing. This is a procedure where they pull files at random and check to see if everything is as it should be.