1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting F1 Visa While On Tourist Visa Currently

Discussion in 'Non-working nonimmigrant issues' started by Raj9999, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Raj9999

Raj9999 New Member

Hi Ron,

I am new to this whole visa thing, so please pardon my ignorance. I am getting all sorts of contradictory information on the internet and from people. I would appreciate your inputs.

I am interested in doing a masters course in one of the reputed institutions. If I am on tourist visa in US (visiting a relative) and I receive the I-20 from the university while I am in US - can I switch to F1 (student) visa or would I have to travel back to my country to switch to student visa.

I would appreciate your inputs.

Thank you,
    Raj

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Your best course of action is to go back and get a student visa. If you have taken any steps to apply for admission to a school within 60 days of arrival, there is a good chance your change of status will be denied. Also, as a tourist, you may not begin attending classes until a change of status is approved.

3. raj2893

raj2893 Junior Member

Hi Ron.. what if it was a case of H1B.. The guy goes to US on tourist visa and while he is in U.S. the H1B gets approved. Does the guy still need to go back to home country for stamping or the guy can just start working on 1st October..

Thanks a lot

4. Jim Gotcher

Jim Gotcher Administrator

The general presumption is that if someone comes to the U.S. as a tourist and then applies for a change of nonimmigrant status within 60 days, he or she had the preconceived intent to do that. They will generally deny the COS request for that reason.

5. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

No, Jim is my son and law partner. He has ten years' experience as a lawyer and, in my opinion, is one of the best H1B lawyers in the country.

Mayur likes this.
  6. justice

justice Member

Hello Jim - Welcome!! sorry, i just thought it was some display typo today. Glad to have another Gotcher join our cause!!

7. Jim Gotcher

Jim Gotcher Administrator

I used to be active in the forum. I plan to be a lot more active in the future. You will also see other attorneys from our firm getting more active.

justice likes this.