1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First-time F1 in Canada

Discussion in 'TCN NIV applications in Canada' started by Pooja, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Pooja

Pooja Junior Member

Hi,

I am an Indian citizen currently working in the US on a G-4 visa since January(I work for the United Nations). I need to change my visa to an F-1 visa as I will be going in for a Masters program in the US starting August. I do not want to apply for a Change of Status at this point but want to leave the country to get my visa stamped. I have already received my I-20 from the university and have all the financial documents prepared.

I want to know if I can go to Canada to get my visa stamped or I need to go back to my home country (India) to get the visa. I read online that it is safer to go back to the home country to get the visa but I do not want to believe random posts. I definitely prefer going to Canada and it would be great if you could brief me about the risks involved in doing so.

I'd like to mention that I have held various US visas before (B2, H4, G4) and maintained a clean record.

Pooja

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: First-time F1 in Canada

You may try to apply in Canada. If you are still entitled to G4, and they say no, then you may return using your G4 visa and either apply for change of status (for now) or go to India. The new USCIS I-539 efiling application is doing a great job. People are getting change of status to F1 in less than two weeks.

3. Pooja

Pooja Junior Member

Thank you Ron. My G4 status will end when I leave the country. It is for this reason that I am worried. I'd like to know if I have a good chance of getting my visa approved in Canada? Or else I'll have to return to my home country.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

If you do not have a G4 VISA, and you are refused a new visa, then you will have to go back to your home country in order to get a new visa.