1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filing I-485/i-765/i-131 As An Applicant, While In H4 Status

Discussion in 'Filing for AOS with an approved I-140' started by mainejersey, Oct 12, 2015.

1. mainejersey

mainejersey New Member

Ron,
    I'm in the H1B status, and my spouse is also in H1B status. Both have approved I-140's, but my PD is earlier than him.

If I am coverted to H4 and work on H4 EAD (as a dependent on my spouse I-140) for the same employer, and if my PD gets current, can my employer still file my I-485 (with I-765 & I-131) application while I am in H4?

Or, do I have to come back to H1B to file the I-485? I will be continue to work with the same employer, who has the I-140 approval with, without changing employers.

Please advice. Thank you.

2. Mayur

Mayur Well-Known Member

If you intend to work with the same employer, why do you want to switch to H4EAD. Is your employer insisting on this to save on H1 renewal/amendment costs ?

3. mainejersey

mainejersey New Member

No. My H-1B extn (premium) application is in security checks from the past almost 7 months, and I need to get the work status soon. That is the reason why my employer suggested to change to H4 with EAD.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

You do not have to resume H1 status in order to file for AOS. As soon as your PD is current, you may file.