1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 To H4 Stamp In Tijuana Mexico

Discussion in 'TCN NIV applications in Mexico' started by taran, Dec 4, 2015.

1. taran

taran New Member

Hi Ron

I am currently on F1 Visa on 17 months STEM OPT extension with a valid F1 visa stamp that expires in 2018.

I want to convert to H4, through travel and get a stamp from Tijuana Mexico.

My husband is currently on H1B visa that would to expire in 2018. with a valid visa stamp till april 2016

I want to know if it is OK for me to travel to Mexico and appear for visa stamp alone or we both go together or dont go to mexico at all.

I saw on their website that TCNs should not apply if they are not renewing the same category, but I have a H4 stamp(expired 2010) that was my status till 2013 feb.

Any experience/information that you can share will be helpful

Thanks
    Taran

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

They won't issue a visa unless you have already been issued a visa in the same letter category.

3. taran

taran New Member

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the response, when you say already issued a visa, does it mean the current visa status or anytime in the past.

I had been issued a H4 visa in 2008 which expired in 2010. So can I renew that same visa even if my current visa if F1.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

In that case, yes, you qualify.

5. taran

taran New Member

Thank you so much for the response, it makes it so clear...i will post my experience if I decide to go to Mexico.

6. Bharath1983

Bharath1983 New Member

Hi Taran,
    Did you go through the process? We are also planning to visit the consulate in Mexico for H4 stamping. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. chom

chom New Member

Hi Tarun or Bharath, I am planning to go to Mexico for H4 to F1 Stamping. Did you go to Mexico?

8. New Guy

New Guy Senior Member

H4 to F1 is not the same category and won't be accepted in Mexico

9. chom

chom New Member

Thanks New Guy!

I had F2 visa before my H4 visa and it expired in july 2016. Since I had a visa in F category, can I go to Mexico to change to F1?