1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 To H4 Cos In Canada?

Discussion in 'Notices - please read' started by itsleo, May 21, 2016.

1. itsleo

itsleo New Member

I need some help about traveling to get my H4.

I am currently studying and working in the USA on F-1 (valid until 2019) and have my OPT EAD card which expires soon (June). My spouse has a H1-B visa with an approved I-140. I did not get my own H1-B this time (or the last 2 times) so I am having to leave my job and convert to H-4. My question is, can I do this change of status to H-4 from my current F-1 in Canada or Costa Rica or any other nearby country? I have never had any other visa than F-1.

I know that I can do this in India but the appointment wait times are long. I know that I can also get this sitting in the US itself but the H4 COS takes more than 3-4 months! I know that Mexico does not allow this due to some rules, similarly also not possible in Jamaica and Bermuda. Any opinions?

2. immigo

immigo New Member

My wife did it in Canada (Ottawa) last year. Very straight forward process. The appointment wait times are very long for Canada as well for non-Canadians.

On a side note, after coming back, she applied for EAD (as I have an approved I-140), however it took 5 months to get EAD. If your spouse's H1B extension is due soon and if the employer does premium H1B renewals, you are better off adding your EAD application to that.

Good luck!

3. itsleo

itsleo New Member

Thanks a bunch for your reply and the note about EAD. Indeed I will be doing that too. On State dept website, the appointment wait time shows 1 day so now I am a little confused whether to believe that or not. Unfortunately, my wife already has her h1 renewed so no way I can tag my application to that either. Thanks anyway!