1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 To H4 Change Of Status

Discussion in 'Notices - please read' started by Jarus, Jun 1, 2016.

  1. Jarus

    Jarus New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    I came to the US on H4 visa in September 2015. I got into a university in January and converted to F1 visa in March, 2016 (not stamped on my passport). However, my spouse got i-140 approved in May 2016. I want to take advantage of the H4-ead rule and convert back to H4.

    Can I travel to Mexico to change the status? Do i need to take an appointment at the embassy or does it get converted at port of entry?

    Do I need to talk to DSO at my university for any prior signature before travel?

    Please help me out.

  2. Ron Gotcher

    Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Is your H4 visa still valid? That is, has it expired? If it is still valid, just go to the border, step across, and then step back. They should give you a new I-94 as an H4. Once that's done, notify your DSO of the change.

Share This Page