1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f1 status to aos(Marriage based) in state tuition

Discussion in 'College and University Faculty' started by floatingpoint, Dec 16, 2011.

1. floatingpoint

floatingpoint Junior Member

i am currently in F1 status and about to go through AOS(marriage based)

After i receive i-485 receipt is it ok to take in state tuition and still maintain F1 visa? (Before I appear for my Interview)

It is a bona fide marriage but we want to keep f1 as a back up for peace of mine.

will taking in state will jeopardize my f1 status if my AOS denies with any reason?

Thank you

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: f1 status to aos(Marriage based) in state tuition

Why would you want to try and maintain F status while applying for adjustment of status? Putting aside the question of being statutorily ineligible to do this, it also isn't very practical.

3. floatingpoint

Thank you for the reply Ron.

I have someone told me that I should maintain F1 status so that I can have this as a back up. So Just wanted to check with you, what you think about this.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

To remain in valid F1 status, you must have an unequivocal intent to return to your home country as soon as you have completed your studies. You have applied for lawful permanent resident status. It is impossible for you to hold such intent. For that reason, you are statutorily ineligible for F1 status.

5. floatingpoint

Thank you for your respond Ron