1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 Opt To H4

Discussion in 'H4 employment authorization' started by Zigzag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Zigzag

Zigzag New Member

Hello Everyone,

Here is my case. I came to US on B2 tourist visa and got my COS to F1 here in US. After completing my degree, I starting working on F1 opt and also got married here. My husband is on H1b with approved i140 so that makes me eligible for h4 ead. My OPT is expiring in June 2016, also I am eligible for STEM extension. Following are my doubts.

1) Which is better F1 opt or h4ead?

2) if I want to COS from F1 opt to H4 then to H4 ead, what is the process and when should I start the process? considering the fact that my OPT expires in may 2016

3) For F1 opt to h4 process can I travel to Canada for H4 visa stamping.

Please help with the above questions. Thanks in advance.

2. Santy

Santy Guru

1. There is no right answer. Might be answer-2 and answer-3 will help you make a decision.
    2. You need to apply for H4 first, this takes 4-5 months... Now is the right time. You can apply for H4 EAD once you get H4 approval. H4 EAD will take 4-5 months too.
    3. As you never had H visa, home country is the best bet.

3. Zigzag

Zigzag New Member

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me the document required for f1opt to h4 conversion if u have any idea. Thanks again.

4. Santy

Santy Guru

You can find the list if you google couple of forums... I don't recall the complete list but H1 copy of your spouse, marriage certificate, Couple of pay stubs, copy of your legal presence, etc. your attorney should give the complete list.

5. aknima4

aknima4 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I would like to get some clarifications in the same context. I came to the US, 3 years ago, on H4 visa. After a year, I applied for H4 to F1 COS in the US without visiting my home country. After graduation, I received my F1 OPT EAD and have been on it for the last 7 months while working (without pay) at the university. My F1 OPT is expiring in January 2017. But since my husband and I are working on moving to Canada in the near future, we would like to travel to our home country this year end and get stamping to obtain re-entry to the US for the subsequent moving process (Husband - H1B and myself back to regular H4, giving up F1 OPT). Quick questions: [1] Is my situation different, requiring a different procedure? [2] What is the procedure? [3] What documents maybe required for my conversion from F1 EAD to regular H4? { Additional info: GC/i140 - N/A. F1 stamping in passport- No. Previous H4 stamping- Yes. Traveling out of the US for the first time in 3 years}.

Thank you in advance for the help!
    Kind regards.