1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 Opt Ead To H4 Ead - Possibility Of No Employment Gap?

Discussion in 'H4 employment authorization' started by vastav, Jun 13, 2015.

1. roshna pereira

roshna pereira New Member

Hello Ron,

I am currently on F1 OPT visa satus and working with EAD. My OPT is valid until June 2016. My husband has a valid I-140 and I am planning to move to H4. I am aware that there will be a gap in my employment and I have discussed it with my employer.
    I would like your advice on which of these would be a better option in terms for getting quicker approval.

1. Apply for COS from F1 to H4 and apply concurrently for EAD. (I do not know the timeline for this approval process). Also when COS is in process, if I take a trip outside the US, will it impact my COS application?

2. Apply for h4 from my home country or any other US neighbor countries and then apply for H4 EAD after returning back to the US (assuming minimum 90 days)

Thank you very much in advance for your time. Your advice is much appreciated.

Regards,
    Roshna

2. p24

p24 New Member

Hi Ron,

Firstly thanks for helping people with the immigration related queries.

I came to USA on H4 and then converted to F1 status. I completed my MS in Jun 2016 and applied for OPT-EAD (valid from August 2016). Currently I am on OPT-EAD and searching for jobs. I am planning to go to India in Dec 2016. I will have to get my OPT stamped when I go back to India and I am scared that it might get rejected. So I was planning to convert to H4-EAD before going to India. Can you please let me know how much time it will take to get my H4-EAD. Also can you suggest whether I should convert to H4-EAD or try finding job on OPT-EAD and then get it stamped when I go to India.

Thanks in advance for your help.

3. Bhavya

Bhavya New Member

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hi Ron,

Firstly I would like to thank you for helping people with queries related to immigration.

Currently I'm on OPT, working as a volunteer for the past one year and my opt ends in Jan 2017. But I'm planning to convert to H4-EAD, do I have to get I-983 form signed from my employer even for H4?. As I'm working as a volunteer will there be any issues with my change of status. [/COLOR]

4. Samyuktha

Samyuktha New Member

Hi Vastavi,

I am in the exact situation, planning to apply for my cos from F1(OPT) to H4+H4 EAD. I can't have a gap in my employment. Please let me know if you under went this process, and how long did it take for you receive your H4 & EAD? Is there a gap between receiving your H4 & H4 EAD? Do you receive two different case numbers when you apply form i539 & i765 together?
    I really appreciate your response, this would be of great help. Thanks in Advance for your time and response!

5. dodo

dodo New Member

Hi Ron,

You are doing a great job..! Keep it up..!

1) I am on F1 visa. Currently looking for a job on CPT.
    2) My husband I140 has been approved.
    3) Should I go for H4 EAD or continue with F1 CPT and OPT thereafter. If I opt for H4 EAD, how long is the processing time?
    4) Also, Can I work or look for jobs after I have applied for change of status from F1 to H4 EAD.
    5) Asking this question in lieu of current change in US govt as I have heard that EAD wont be granted to H4 folks any longer.

Thanks in advance..!