1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 Cpt To H4 Denied

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Applications' started by chandra999, Oct 5, 2016.

1. chandra999

chandra999 New Member

Hi

On august 5th I filed for H4 and H4 EAD concurrently which was denied . Denial notice says that I did not maintain valid F1 non immigrant status because I transferred to another university from university in Jan 2013.

I was given f1 visa on Kent state where I never registered as I had better options from another university I had to transfer .Kent state did not object the transfer and sevis was transferred to another university .I finished my course at other university and was awarded a master degree . An opt and Opt extension was approved by USCIS upon finishing my masters .

I travelled to India while I was pursuing masters in stratford and was not questioned of it maintaining the status by DHS.

Upon completing opt period I enrolled in another masters degree in va university and USCIS has approved Cpt program with the degree . Sevis is still active

I got my license extended (which happens only when you are in status )

Social security was issued in 2014 and I did not face any issue there .

Today USCIS has denied change of status to H4 and claim I was not maintaining my F1 non immigrant status .

I could like to know my options

Whether to file motion to reopen or Go to India get H4 stamped ?.

If I file a motion and if that is refused , what kind of consequences I'm going to face and how will it impact my H4 stamping in India then?

.Current status : F1 on CPT

If I file a motion to re consider which will take 30- 60 days ,am I allowed to work in the period ?

What are the chances of wining this case ?

2. Richard Harding

Richard Harding Registered Users

Hello,

Without reviewing the denial and documents submitted to USCIS, it's impossible to give a realistic analysis of your chances of success. If you would like GIP to evaluate a motion to reopen, please provide a copy of the denial notice, RFE issued by USCIS, and any documents you submitted to USCIS for your applications. You may send them via email to rah@gotcherlaw.com.

If you file a motion to reopen, which USCIS denies, then you will remain out of status. You will not be authorized to work until the H-4 EAD is approved as USCIS has determined that you have failed to maintain for F-1 status. You may accrue unlawful presence in this situation which would jeopardize your ability to get any kind of visa and return to the US.

Traveling and receiving a visa from a US consulate would likely be faster than the motion to reopen based on current India visa wait times at US consulates.

Richard A. Harding

Greeeeencard likes this.