1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F-1 Opt To H-4 Stamping

Discussion in 'TCN NIV applications in Canada' started by GreenChemie, Aug 12, 2015.

1. GreenChemie

GreenChemie Member

Hi Ron,

I am currently on F-1 OPT working for an engineering firm. My F-1 stamp expired in June this year. Because I want the flexibility of travelling abroad, I am planning to apply for an H-4 Visa (based on my husband's H-1B).

I want to apply for the H-4 in Canada (Vancouver).

My husband will not be accompanying me since he already got his H-1B stamped last year (valid till Oct 2017) from Calgary. His paperwork is clean, he has been a full time employee at the same big tech company for the last 10 years and has his I-140 approved since 2010.

I have never had a stamping in Canada. My one and only stamping was for my F-1 back in 2010 in New Delhi.

I guess no one can predict for sure, but in your opinion is going to Canada a good choice?

Thanks!
    PS: I plan to terminate my employment before the H-4 stamping. Then apply for H-4 EAD and my firm will then re-hire me once I have the EAD in hand.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

I don't see any particular problems that should concern you. Your case fits into the "easy case" profile.

3. GreenChemie

GreenChemie Member

Thanks for the prompt reply! :)

That's what I figured. Just wanted to double check, as there are so many rumors regarding first time stamping issues in Canada floating around on the net.

4. GreenChemie

GreenChemie Member

Hi Ron,

I have a follow up question on this thread.

Just to recap my previous post, I am on F-1 OPT and I plan to move to H-4 by getting an H-4 stamped in Canada. My appointment date is Nov 16th 2015. Post that my plan is to apply for an H-4 EAD.

However, now my husband's priority date (Nov 2010) is current to file for I-485/AOS (based on yesterday's new VB changes).

I want the flexibility to travel abroad (already have travel plans for December 2015). Hence I want to still go ahead with H-4 stamping plan, instead of waiting a few months to receive EAD/AP. Depending on the number of applications that USCIS receives, god only knows when I will have the actual EAD/AP in hand, so I also want to apply for the H-4 EAD in the meanwhile, as I would get back to work ASAP.

My questions for you:

1.) If I travel to Canada on F-1 with the intention of returning to the US on H-4, will my AOS I-485 application be deemed abandoned?

2.) Does it make sense to apply for H-4 EAD once on H-4?

Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it. :)