1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F-1 Opt Stem Program Challenged In Court

Discussion in 'OPT changes' started by Kamakazee, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

This is an interesting case. I doubt that it will survive an appeal, but it is still interesting.

3. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

Yes, I found it interesting too. Never thought STEM OPT would be challenged. We have all used it to switch from F1 to H1B. But we used to get it for a year. Now it has expanded a lot.

4. Senram

Senram Member

It is possible to win the case if successfully challenged by some one as always many laws should give preference to US workers. But I am pretty sure OPT is causing wage depression. Only question is it will take years and money to survive in the appeals against the government and also constantly proving the personal impact. That's where individuals or small organizations fail. But if house successfully files the case it could win if the court accepts to hear(only issue here is courts reluctant to accept the case unless the filing party has any impact). I am sure there will be twists and turns in coming months and certainly add uncertainity

5. Ron Gotcher

This case is going to get overturned on appeal because it is a direct challenge to the President's authority to conduct foreign relations. The F1 program, including OPT, falls under the heading of foreign relations. The purpose of the F1 program is to invite the best and brightest from around the world to learn about America. OPT is an important part of that. I simply don't see this case surviving an appeal.

6. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

While I agree that it falls under the foreign relations category, I am now certain that the USCIS is going to delay changes to the F1-OPT rule. There is no reason to extend the OPT period beyond 2 years.

7. Ron Gotcher

They may do it anyway now just because they are stubborn.