1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expedited Citizenship for Military Spouse?

Discussion in 'Serving military and military families' started by HLG, Apr 15, 2009.

1. HLG

HLG Junior Member

Thank you very much Mr. Ron for being so generous with your advice and support for military families! My husband is a US Citizen serving in the Marine Corps. We have been married for two years and I am applying now to remove conditions on my permanent residency.

I want to apply for government jobs but was told that I need to be a US Citizen to apply, that even as a permanent resident I cannot be paid with "appropriated funds"

Is there any way around that rule? Or is there any way to speed up my citizenship process given I am married to the military?

Thanks!!

2. mike

mike Junior Member

Re: Expedited Citizenship for Military Spouse?

HLG,
    There is a way to speed up the process. However, that requires your husband to receive Permanent Change of Station orders overseas. If that happens you are eligible to apply for your citizenship based on his PCS orders. Check with the JAG if that is the case.

3. Mina

Mina Junior Member

Hello Mr. Ron

I am German and I am married to my husband for 10 years. I have lived in the United states for 8 years. I have a green card since 8 years. ( i think I need a new one in 2 years) We are stationed overseas with the us military and I would like to know what do I have to do to take the american citizenship ? Do I have to take the test as well? What is all in the test and how many questions are in the test. How much does the test cost and do we have to pay for that as well while my husband is active duty? Thank you in advance for your help.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Your processing is just like everyone else's processing, except that you may file and be sworn in abroad.

5. bella

bella Junior Member

Mr. Gotcher
    My husband is a US citizen serving in the army. We have been married for a little over a year now and he will soon deploy to Afghanistan. Am I eligible to apply for citizenship due to his PCS orders? Thank you very much for your help!