1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eligible For Citizenship But Want To Study In Canada

Discussion in 'Retention of US residency' started by ssuurrss, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ssuurrss

ssuurrss Senior Member

My son is eligible to file for citizenship now (Aug 2015). He wants to study in Canada. If he leaves now for Canada after meeting residency requirements for citizenship (Been in the US for 5 years continuously), I assume he will have to obtain a returning resident permit if he has to go. Would it disqualify him from meeting residency requirements if he leaves now? And can I apply for citizenship for him, and he still go?

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Why can't he apply now, go to Canada, and return for his biometrics, interview, and oath ceremony?

3. ssuurrss

ssuurrss Senior Member

Thank you Ron, I was under the impression that he needs to be in the United States from start to finish on the application process.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

No, as long as he meets the continuous and physical presence requirements as of the time he is interviewed, he may travel.

5. ssuurrss

ssuurrss Senior Member

Thank you Ron. Mailed it in today.

6. ssuurrss

ssuurrss Senior Member

Ron, got the Interview notice today. It falls into a timeframe my son has final exams in at school. With all the horror stories about sending in a reschedule notice, I am at a loss as to what to do. He can't come for a day, and go back for his exams because he will miss a few exams. Need advice. Even if I can get his interview date changed for when he is here after the 16th of December, The passport will take another 4-6 weeks for him to travel back to Canada. What is the best course of action here for him?