1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eligibility Criteria For Fresh H1b From India

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Applications' started by Y Ramineni, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Y Ramineni

Y Ramineni New Member

I have completed my six years on H1B and currently on my extension. my Current I 140 was denied and my current H1B extension due by end of FEB 2015.

My current Employer is filing for a new PERM. I have no confidence with my current employer.

My questions is as follows

1. I have a employer willing to employ me and start a fresh H1B. Can i be eligible to apply for 2015 H1B quota If i move back to India by end of FEB 2015 let my new employer file for new H1B

2. Should i wait until 2016 ?

3. Is there any alternates available for me to stay back?

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

How long was your PERM on file? If it was more than 365 days, you can claim an exemption from the six year limit on that basis.

3. Y Ramineni

Y Ramineni New Member

Hello Ron,

My Current PERM was filed on July 2012 and my I 140 was filed in JAN 2013 and when I filed for an extension in March 2014 my I 140 was under review and i got one year extension until FEB 2015 and come to know that my I 140 got rejected.

So i wanted to know

If a join a new employer In FEB 2015 and go back to INDIA will i be eligible for 2015 H1B quota or will be eligible only for 2016 H1B quota?

is there any other alternate for me to stay here and start a new PERM with current employer and file an extension on that basis?

Thank you!

Y Ramineni

4. Ron Gotcher

If you leave, and stay out a year, you will not be eligible for the new quota until April, 2016. You may use your PERM to claim an exemption with any employer.

5. Y Ramineni

Y Ramineni New Member

Thanks Ron,

1. Does that mean My Current PERM is still valid, even though it was certified on 07/31/2012 ?

2. If in case my current PERM is still valid, Can i shift to my new employer and file for H1B extension?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Y Ramineni

6. Ron Gotcher

You have a PERM that is more than 365 days old. Granted, the I-140 petition was denied, but the PERM is still "alive." It is possible to file a new I-140 using the existing PERM. You don't have to do that, but you could if you wanted.