1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EIN while on h1b

Discussion in 'Businesses' started by NYCGirl, Jul 2, 2013.

  1. NYCGirl

    NYCGirl Junior Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I want to start a C corp while on h1b. I understand that I cannot work for te business but I can own it. However, to apply for EIN (tax number for companies, equivalent to SSN for people) I need to enter my SSN on the form and by doing that I will be considered a ''responsible party". Is this legal? Has anyone obtained a EIN while on h1b? I feel weird about putting my SSN on the form, do I have anything to wory about?
  2. Ron Gotcher

    Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    You may obtain and use an EIN for your business while you hold H1B status. You appear to be mindful of the limitations on your participation in the company, so I don't see any potentially harmful issues facing you.

Share This Page