1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education evaluation for I140

Discussion in 'I-140 petitions' started by eb3eb2user, Mar 20, 2012.

1. eb3eb2user

eb3eb2user Member

Hi Ron - I had a question about my educational evaluation. I have a 3 yrs bachelors in computers ( 1995-1998) followed by a 3 years masters in computer applications (1998-2001). My educational evaluation was performed which states that along with my masters my degrees are equivalent to US bachelors + masters in computer science.

Questions :
    1 . Will USCIS treat my degree as :

bachelors (1995-1998) + 1year od masters (1998-1999) = US bachelors
    2 years of masters (1999-2001) = US masters ?

2. Secondly can any relevant experience gained during masters in 2001 be counted as post bachelors experience for EB2 I140 purpose . The job requirement needs bachelors + 5 years of relevant experience. ?

I will really appreciate if you could please answer my question.

Thanks much in advance!!!

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: Education evaluation for I140

The USCIS has been pretty good about accepting an India 3+3 combination as the equivalent of a U.S. master's degree.

3. eb3eb2user

eb3eb2user Member

Hi Ron - Thanks much!!! In my case , can USCIS consider the work experience gained during masters ( in 2001) as post bachelors experience ?

Thanks in advance.

4. Ron Gotcher

It's hard to say. They won't consider a three year degree as a U.S. bachelor's equivalent, so it would have to be after the first year of the master's program. Why do you need post-bachelor's degree experience if you have a master's?

5. eb3eb2user

eb3eb2user Member

Hi Ron - It's because the job requirement in PERM says Bachelors in computers + 5 years experience. I am falling short of 5 years by 1 month if the experience is considered after masters but before joining my current company in 2006.

If USCIS considers my education till end of 1st year of masters as equivalent to US bachelors ,then my total experience before joining the company would be 5 years 6 months which can qualify me for EB2 and hence the question. Per your earlier comment , I had gained my experience in the 3rd year of my masters.

Thanks in advance.

6. Ron Gotcher

This is a highly fact specific question. I haven't examined your file and can't even begin to guess how the USCIS might view it.

7. eb3eb2user

eb3eb2user Member

Hi Ron - Thank you and I understand. Is USCIS very strict about the 5 years experience for EB2 ? Are they flexible to some extent to consider maybe 1 month of experience gained at the current job ?

Thanks.

8. Ron Gotcher

It depends on how the employer structured the PERM application. If they checked "no" in the box that asks if any of the qualifying experience was gained with the sponsoring employer, then you won't be able to use it.

9. eb3eb2user

eb3eb2user Member

Hi Ron - Thanks. In the PERM , it says NO for the answer . But also in the PERM , it also mentions the experience which I had gained during my masters in 2001. Do you feel taking all this into account my case might get approved in EB2 during I 140. Please say yes :(

Thanks.

10. Ron Gotcher

I honestly don't know. You are asking a highly technical question that turns on very specific facts. This is like trying to do surgery by remote control from another state.

11. eb3eb2user

eb3eb2user Member

Hi Ron - Thank you for taking the time in answering all my questions. I really appreciate it. You are a big blessing to people like me. Please keep up the good work.

Regards.

12. Ron Gotcher

Glad to be of help. Good luck.

13. fohn-fleming

fohn-fleming Junior Member

Hi, Just a third person trying to help. Theoretically you sound correct. Your education equivalence should ideally be a US Bachelor's + Master's. However, just to make sure, I suggest get in touch with a foreign credential evaluation agency as well. Some of them offer free consultation. Lastly, your work experience during your master's should be counted, but as part-time experience.

I hope I was of some help :)

14. avijit2003

avijit2003 New Member

My labor is approved and my employer attorney is going to fill i140
    My question -
    When filled labor attorney mentioned eb2 category . He mentioned i suppose to have masteres degree or as a alternative bachelor+ 5 years of work experience.
    I talk to some evaluation company and they gave me masters us equivalent degree.
    Should i be giving USCIS the staraight master degtree evaluation ?
    Or the bachelor and 5 years of work experience certificate from previous employer?
    Or both the docs?

15. donisback

donisback Guru

Perhaps a better sentence construction will help to understand, what you are asking for ?

16. avijit2003

avijit2003 New Member

My question is as i already have bachelor + 5 years of exp, is there any necessity of doind edu evaluation ?

17. avijit2003

avijit2003 New Member

My question is as i already have bachelor + 5 years of exp, is there any necessity of doing edu evaluation ?

18. avijit2003

avijit2003 New Member

My question is as i already have bachelor + 5 years of exp, is there any necessity of doing edu evaluation ?

19. avijit2003

avijit2003 New Member