1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eb1 Manager Eligibility

Discussion in 'I-140 petitions' started by rohitnar, Mar 10, 2016.

1. rohitnar

rohitnar New Member

Hi Ron:

I have an approved I-140 in EB3 but because it will take years to be current, I am exploring other options.I recently came across EB1 Manager Category.

I was out of the country for 8 and half months waiting for my Perm / I-140 to be approved. During that period, I worked in a Managerial position for the same company but from out of the country. I was paid as a contractor for this period. I am back now with a H1-B extension based on that approved I-140 and working for the same employer. Am I eligible to file in the EB1 Manager category should the position exist? If I am, may I have my employer contact your office to take up the GC application?

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

No, you need one full year as a salaried employee overseas.

3. rohitnar

rohitnar New Member

Thanks. And could that have been 6 years ago? I also worked for the same employer from 2004 to 2006 from out of the country. Or should it have been within the last 3 years?

4. Ron Gotcher

Within the last three years before coming to the U.S.

5. rohitnar

rohitnar New Member

Thanks. That was my question , sorry I should have rephrased it better.

Within the last three years before coming to the U.S. for the first time? Which in my case would be 2007

or

within the last 3 years before the last U.S entry ? In which case I clearly do not qualify.

Actually, this link is what prompted this question

http://www.immigration.com/faq/us-green-card/employment-based-green-cards/eb1-green-card#9321

Answer:

Looks like you should be eligible for EB-1C. In cases like yours, three years are not an issue, if I remember the rule correctly. You can apply.

6. Ron Gotcher

A brief visit abroad would not reset the clock. If you came here as an H or L in 2007 and have remained in lawful status, then the relevant period would be 2004 to 2007.

7. rohitnar

rohitnar New Member

Hi Ron:

Thanks. Yes came here as a H1B in 2007 and have remained in lawful status. In the period 2004 to 2007, I was working as a Project Manager for 2 years for a subsidiary of my present company and I still have Payslips and other details from that period.

Questions

1) Do I qualify for an EB1 Manager even though I have an EB3 approved I-140 from the same employer?

2) If so , I may be inclined to port. Does your firm handle porting?

8. rohitnar

rohitnar New Member

Hi Ron:

Can you please get back on the above when you get a moment? Thanks

LPaandi likes this.
  9. Ron Gotcher

I don't see anything that you have written that would make you ineligible. You cannot, however, port at this time.

10. rohitnar

rohitnar New Member

Hi Ron:

If I am not ineligible why can't I port? Is porting not allowed for EB3 to EB1 from the same company, even if its is for a different job?

11. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

you dont need to port as EB1 is always current for all countries.

12. rohitnar

rohitnar New Member

Thanks, I was a bit confused as to what "You cannot, however, port at this time." reply from Ron meant. So I understand that porting is only for EB3 to EB2.

This will be a new EB1 petition for me, right? Also what happens if for some reason the new EB1 petition gets denied, not saying it would but just in case. I can always fall back on my EB3 approved I140 , is that right?

13. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

I dont know your background but here is the qualification for Eb1

You must have worked for atleast 1 year in the last 3 years prior to entry to USA in mangerial role.

EB1 & Eb3 are separate. Yes you can fall back to Eb3 as long as your job requirements are the same as that in the PERM

14. rohitnar

rohitnar New Member

Yes, I do have that. I first came to the US in 2007 . In the period 2004 to 2007, I was working as a Project Manager for 2 years for a subsidiary of my present company.

But it helps to know I qualify and am eligible.I wish my company's attorney had presented us with the EB1 option.I could have had my GC by now. Now I am going to have to do the hard work of having to try and convince my employer to file for another job as a manager in the EB1 category. That is better than having to wait 15+ years in the current scenario.

Approximately how long does the process take? I believe there is no PERM involved so it should be faster at least relatively speaking?

15. Ron Gotcher

Define what you mean by "porting." If you are talking about moving to a new employer without having to file a new PERM/I-140, that's not possible for you at this time.

16. rohitnar

rohitnar New Member

ok, thanks I think I get that now. But assuming company has another job in a managerial position open, I can apply for GC in EB1 Manager right? This will be separate from my EB3 application and no porting is involved.

17. Ron Gotcher

If you qualify, yes you can. The EB3 petition is totally separate.

18. rohitnar

rohitnar New Member

Hi Don and Ron:

I have a question on Concurrent Filing of I-140 Petition and I-485 Application in the EB1C category. In order to save on costs
    can I file the I-485 Application myself after the I-140 Petition has been filed by the company attorney under EB1C category?

I read some where that one may self file the 1-485 application if they have the reciept number of the 1-140. Is that true?
    If so how long will it be classified concurrent? Can I file the I-485 Application myself , say 1-2 months after the 1-140
    has been filed under EB1C and still be classified under the concurrent filing? Or is it that I can file for 1-485 myself as long as the 1-140 is pending
    and the category is current?

Let me know please.

Thanks

19. agulv

agulv Guru

Incase if someone has a i140 approved in EB2 and he/she take a job overseas in a managerial role in diff job function such as sales and marketing in same company and come back to US after few years working for same company, can he/she still use the original i140? There is also a possibility to file in EB1c if position in US is managerial upon return.

20. Ron Gotcher

Yes, your understanding is correct. You may self-file.