1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS-160 Form and Unlicensed driver ticket in California

Discussion in 'NIV applications in India' started by pcolly, Jul 20, 2013.

1. pcolly

pcolly Junior Member

Hi Ron,
    I was cited 12500(a) VC, Unlicensed driver in California.The citation was marked as traffic misdemeanor. I was not arrested. However, it was directly filed as infraction at the court as in CA few courts file this as infraction rather than a misdemeanor. My charge was filed as traffic infraction at the traffic court and I went to the traffic court plead guilty for infraction and paid the fine.

I was neither arrested for this citation nor convicted of any misdemeanor. I collected my court disposition letter it says I was charged with infraction. However my question is, do I have to mention this in DS-160 ?

"Have you ever been arrested/convicted for any offense of crime, even though subjected to pardon or other actions?" .Do I need to answer "Yes" to this question?.

And, what are the things that we need to mention on DS-160 form? Any offense of misdemeanor nature qualifies "Yes"?

If I pull my live scan report in CA and FBI rap sheet, and both are clear of any records, can I say "No"?

Thanks,

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

I would answer yes and write something like "traffic infraction" in the notes.

3. pcolly

pcolly Junior Member

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your time and answer. Do you think answering "Yes" to the question and explaining it reduces my chances to get visa? What kinda impact you think it's going to be on my visa interview? Would it jeopardize my chances to get visa? I was exploring options whether I can handle this without mentioning this in DS-160 as I don't want to create unwanted attention on my application. I'm with the same employer for 7+ years and did stamping 3 times already.

Thanks,

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

I've never heard of anyone being denied a visa as the result of a traffic ticket.