1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drones

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by Ron Gotcher, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

I'm thinking about buying a drone with a camera. I want to use it to play with my dogs and also see if it will be helpful when I go birding. Does anyone have any experience with drones? Recommendations?

How do you get the video? Bluetooth?

2. cuckoo

cuckoo Super Moderator

Never used one but apparently the ones you can watch the video while it is recorded use wifi. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-drones,review-2412.html

3. cross

cross Junior Member

Phantom is the way to go but I would recommend buying a cheaper one from Amazon and get comfortable with the controls before you put money into a bigger more expensive unit. Phantom has also a "return to home" feature whereby it can return back to you in case it drifts off due to wind (yep it can happen) and goes out of range of your radio control.

Since you are in CA, I am sure there a bunch of nerds in your community who are actively playing around with these devices so reach out to them to find out more. Usually the ham radio guys who tinker with electronics also play around with drones since they are also the ones who are usually very nimble with controls from playing console games :).

Learn to look at the wind and weather patterns and also surrounding hazards like power lines, fenced in inaccessible areas where you cannot retrieve your drone if for some reason it lands there and also most importantly other people as many are getting hurt by carelessly flown drones by inexperienced operators.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Thanks for the tips. I plan to use it to inspect my roof, play with the dogs, and do remote birdwatching. I don't plan to take it up more than ten feet, except when I'm inspecting my roof and gutters. I am very sensitive to the privacy concerns of others and the potential dangers of a UAV doing physical damage.