1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current status of CIR

Discussion in 'Immigration legislation' started by avatar, Sep 19, 2013.

1. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

Now that Illegals have got what they wanted DACA and going forward extended DACA what is preventing a admin fix ?

2. manixium

manixium Super Moderator

So I don't understand something about the EAD for H4 deal...

It looks like the EAD is only for the spouses and not the primary beneficiary, right? The primary is still on H1B... So what happens if the primary changes jobs? Does the EAD void automatically, since the primary holder now has to go through a PERM and I 140 all over again? If the EAD voids automatically, then what happens to the spouse employee?

This sounds like yet another corporate giveaway... The primary holder has to please his masters as much as possible because now two jobs are at stake.

3. binu2007

binu2007 Senior Member

The blame game is going on for the past 5 years (especially each year end ) between the ruling and opposition political parties. They need immigration as a burning issue. that is about it. Attorneys are happy tooo. everyone is happy. Ruling party is afraid of labour union and latino votes, opposition party wants only to do Legal immigration reform. These are all mutual understanding.

4. binu2007

binu2007 Senior Member

EAD for H4 rule is never going to happen only lip service and sweet talk is happening. First they should issue EADs to the people who miss to file I-485 during the year 2007 and whose I-140 is approved and still on H1 visa unfortunately.

5. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

The entire talk about CIR is just bogus. No one wants to change status quo.

6. Senram

Senram Member

~~We never know. The CIR or immigration reform could happen sooner or later. But not similar to CIR in Senate. For legal immigration policy US workers should be given first preference and if they do not find qualified US workers then they should hire h1b. This was happening till 2002. After that companies started laying off people and recruited H1b and also outsourced to India. It was realized by very well and US workers has more difficulty in finding jobs even for many positions skilled persons are not available. We can very well see that the competition is in mostly average skill and for that only more than half of h1bs from India are competing. If India can supply a programmer after 2 year training in Oracle, SAP, JAVA why can't the same training be given in USA?
    Corporations are asking increase in H1b just for cheap labor. US government very well knew that by the recent rfe and h1b denials US corporations and also Indian outsourcing companies started hiring some local resources also. That showed that demand for more guest workers never true and lack the data. Dice is best example. The number of jobs in dice a day remains same for past 8 years(It never exceeded 85k in that many were duplicates).
    It is difficult to justify unlimited guest workers or unlimited green card unless you pass a bill like Obama care. Any legal immigration bill will be rejected by the name of CIR in future unless it is reasonable and accepted by most. For example 20k H1b for US STEM graduates was accepted without a question. Even anti immigrants did not oppose that

7. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I agree with you on H1B, layoffs etc but disagree that Immigration Reform will pass.

8. mgfag2000

mgfag2000 Member

Eric Cantor laid out the agenda for action items for the next couple of weeks/months and as expected immigration is not one of them. So pretty much nothing is going to happen until the primaries are over. Once the primaries are over and the republicans are confident that they have avoided the Tea Party challenge, there will be a little more traction as far as getting the immigration bills through So, what is going to happen and which bills will surely come to the floor once the primaries get over. Here are a few definite things:

1) Piecemeal bills will come to the House floor and hoping Ms Becky Tallent is working on this feverishly.
    2) The border security bill will be the first which everyone has been pushing for to prevent future influx of illegals.
    3) An E-verify bill will reduce fraud, prevent employers from hiring illegals, visa overstay etc.
    4) STEM bill should be a welcome change for the legals waiting in the queue. and. should come to the floor and pass without too many hiccups.
    5) The KIDS bill should give something to the illegals to cheer about.
    6) The republicans are going to push for legalization(permanent residency for illegals) as opposed to giving them citizenship. That way the illegals dont become a democrat voting bloc. Since the 55% Hispanics have already said they only care about legalization and not citizenship... this will be a no brainer.

So now the million dollar question is who is going to benefit the most from all this? This is important because this will have a major implication on the time line for passage.

​I reall

9. mgfag2000

mgfag2000 Member

I really think this will come down to who will score the most brownie points(as in who will benefit in the elections and get votes) from all this. Paul Ryan is turning out to be a superhero

1) Border Security bill - Republicans
    2) E verify bill - Republicans
    3) STEM bill - Majority will vote for Republicans
    4) KIDS Bill - Democrats
    5) Legalization - The most important chunk out of the 11 million votes. I would think majority would vote Democrats(once they get citizenship and are allowed voting).

A very good article in the Wash. Post today
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2014/01/08/daylight-on-immigration-reform/

It is clear the illegals will not get a special pathway to citizenship. They will get a probationary status after paying fines and taxes or get deported if they dont come out. Then once the borders are secured and e verify implemented, they will get to apply for LPR based on FB or EB routes. Eventually , they will be able to apply for citizenship. I think this is the most reasonable path and the Dems have to compromise(the my way or the highway approach wont work this time).

10. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

Here is the irony. While majority of the undocumentd are happy with legalization without special pathway to citizenship, the pols want special pathway.

This isn't easy as you think. It will be very difficult from them to compromise and ultimately we will see nothing coming out this year.

11. mgfag2000

mgfag2000 Member

There is sufficient momentum behind immigration reform and we should see something come out this year. The border security , E verify, KIDS and STEM will happen without a doubt. However, these will be separate bills and wont be one huge bill. The illegals will have to go through the probationary status. Yes, they will have to wait and "earn" the permanent residency/citizenship. They should not be rewarded for breaking the law.

I really think neither Reps nor Dems want to give the credit nor the votes to the other group in getting this done. Rubio, clearly, had the presidential elections in mind and tried to be cute with the S.744 bill. He himself then admitted that the bill was flawed and so it wasnt thought through. The democrats want the 11 million votes and it aint gonna happen, not so easy.

12. mgfag2000

mgfag2000 Member

13. sigler

sigler Junior Member

Hey Ron, Could you provide us with any information you might have as to what will be in the House Immigration bills?

14. Senram

Senram Member

I really doubt Ron will know. Even bill sponsor will not know as they did not announce principles yet. You can see Hr2131 for high skilled for now as that will be base and additions and subtractions will happen

15. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

I keep hearing stories about how Boehner is going to bring something up after the Republican primaries are largely finished in May. I'll believe it when I see it. I think that the Republicans have convinced themselves that they can avoid this issue and not suffer any electoral consequences in 2014 or 2016. Time will tell.

16. Ron Gotcher

This morning I opened my daily digest from Politico and found an article about immigration legislation gaining momentum. I clicked on the link and found an article that discussed how Speaker Boehner planned to bring an immigration bill to the floor before the August recess. I started looking at the article more carefully and found that it was dated June 17, 2013. For whatever reason, the daily digest that Politico sent out was one year old. What amazed me is that the language used and the people quoted sounded exactly like something you could read today. This is just a reminder that we have gone a year with nothing but platitudes.

17. Ron Gotcher

18. Senram

Senram Member

But that is the case for many bills. There are hundreds of bills are passed in house but expiring in Senate every 2 years. This should be changed by concept in both houses instead of blaming for 1 bill in house.