1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consecutive L1 Stay Period

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Validity' started by rmr90, Oct 27, 2017.

1. rmr90

rmr90 New Member

Hello all,

I've read in many forums and blogs that a L1B visa is valid for 3 years the first time (or most of the times), which is correctly represented in my current I94 showing I was approved in Feb 2016 and my admission is valid until Feb 2019. However, I first came to the States in a company assignment in Sep 2015 under the same L1 visa type, with a different EAC/petition number and obviously a different admission period (from Sep 2015 to Sep 2018). Both are blanket petitions from a major corporation.

So in short, I've been living in the States on a L1B visa for a little bit over 2 years now consecutively, but under two different petitions (changed roles in the same org, that's why). The question is, do we need to fill for the 2-year extension taking as reference the first petition from Sep 2015, or the second one from Feb 2016? The "original" 3 years are due on next August and I'm not sure if what matters is the consecutive time rather than what my current I94 shows.

Thank you for your advice.

2. rmr90

rmr90 New Member

Sorry, I meant... are due on next September* "

3. WaldenPond

WaldenPond Guru

Why you have 2 different petition numbers? Is the second one an extension to the first one? Or you went back to home country and came on new petition?

4. rmr90

rmr90 New Member

Because I first moved to the States on a job assignment for 6 months (petition number 1) with a title and job description, but my payrol still back in my country.... and eventually they figured out they wanted me full time with a different role description, different legal entity, payroll and so on... so had to get a new petiton matching that (petiton 2).. i dont use petition 1 anymore... just petition 2 ever since Feb 2016