1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Citizenship help and spouse immigration

Discussion in 'Serving military and military families' started by cabrera, Mar 18, 2011.

1. cabrera

cabrera Junior Member

Here's the story. I enlisted in the Marines and leave for boot on April 4. I've been a green card holder since last year May. I want to get my citizenship ASAP. I've read online that I need to serve 1 year first before I can apply. Is there any way I can get my citizenship faster because I just found out today that my girlfriend in the philippines is pregnant for less than a month. I visited back in jan-feb. How long does citizenship for a military member take after you file it? I'm planning to get her a fiance visa ASAP. I know my situation is messed up. I just want to know what forms I need to file and when do I file them. I clearly have no idea what I'm gonna do and no money to pay a lawyer to do it.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: Citizenship help and spouse immigration

There isn't any way around the one year rule. What you can do, however, is get married now and file an F2A petition for your wife. When you become a citizen, it will get upgraded automatically to an immediate relative petition when you naturalize.

3. cabrera

cabrera Junior Member

question how long does it take to get i-130 approved and i-145. also do i have to apply for my future baby seperately? because thats gonna be a lot of money seperately guess ill have to save up if it is

4. cabrera

cabrera Junior Member

i just found this. so can i apply right after boot camp?

Service During Hostilities : By Executive Order Number 13269, dated July 3, 2002, President Bush declared that all those persons serving honorably in active-duty status in the Armed Forces of the United States at any time on or after September 11, 2001 until a date to be announced, are eligible to apply for naturalization in accordance with the service during hostilities statutory exception in Section 329 of the INA to the naturalization requirements. This means that individuals with even one day of honorable active duty service can apply for citizenship, regardless of how long they have been a resident. Note: Under this provision, individuals who apply for citizenship after discharge must present a DD Form 214, with service characterized as "Honorable," or "General." Those with other characterizations (including Entry Level Separation), are not eligible.
    Section 329 of the INA also applies to service-members who served on active duty during World War I, World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict, and Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm.