1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Citizenship for a minor child

Discussion in 'US citizenship' started by chenu, Mar 14, 2007.

  1. chenu

    chenu Junior Member

    We got naturalized recently and obtained a passport for our minor son .Now do we also apply for N-600. If it is not necessary what do we do with his green card.Also should we inform USCIS that he has a US passport now so that they can enter the same in their system.Your reply will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ron Gotcher

    Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

    You really don't need to get a certificate of citizenship for your child. It is not a legal requirement.
  3. mc1423

    mc1423 Junior Member

    N-600 For the children of Naturalized Citizen

    Immigration Officer from USCIS yesterday told me to submit the N600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship.

    And the fee for this based from the N600 form is $255.00.

    I thought since my children are minor they will automatically naturalized as a citizen and will not pay any additional fees. - MC :confused:

    Please help, I will apply to get a passport next week and I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing here.

    Thanks again!

  4. mc1423

    mc1423 Junior Member

    Minor Children one parent Naturalized

    Hi Ron,

    Just want to know if this info I've got is correct. Sorry to ask you a lot of things regarding my children's case, just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. You're the only person I could rely on.

    Thank you!


    If I am naturalized, is my child a citizen? Usually if children are Permanent Residents, they can derive citizenship from their naturalized parents. This is true whether the child is a child by birth or adoption.
    In most cases, your child is a citizen if ALL of the following are true:
    • The other parent is also naturalized OR
    • You are the only surviving parent (if the other parent is dead) OR
    • You have legal custody (if you and the other parent are legally separated or divorced);
      The child was under 18 when the parent(s) naturalized;
    • The child was not married when the parent(s) naturalized; and
    • The child was a Permanent Resident before his or her 18th birthday.
    If you and your child meet all of these requirements, you may obtain a passport for the child as evidence of citizenship. If the child needs further evidence of citizenship, you may submit an Application for Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-600):confused: to USCIS to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. (Note: the child may obtain a passport or Certificate of Citizenship at any time, even after he or she turns 18.)
  5. mariecortes

    mariecortes Junior Member

    Re: Citizenship for a minor child

    How do I contact the Immigration office?

Share This Page