1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CIS and fraud

Discussion in 'Commentary' started by Ron Gotcher, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

The CIS is on a major campaign to root out and prevent fraud. I'm all in favor of finding and denying fraudulent applications and petitions. The more they find, the better things will be for the rest of us. At the same time, CIS adjudicators seem to presume fraud in every case that comes before them. I think it's time for a reality check.

If you were to look at all of the businesses in the United States, and then calculate the per capita number of entities that engage in immigrant fraud, I think you would get a very low number. Even one is too many, but the per capita number would be very low.

On the other hand, we see very large numbers of CIS and CBP personnel arrested, tried, and convicted each year for fraudulent activities, such as soliciting bribes. The numbers are always in the high two figures and often in the low three. If you then calculated the number of CIS/CBP convictions each year on a per capita rate, I'm confident it would be several times higher than the fraud rate for businesses.

Just something to keep in mind.