1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chinese Fiance living in Japan

Discussion in 'Serving military and military families' started by njkt, Aug 11, 2010.

1. njkt

njkt Junior Member

Hello,
    My situation is a little strange.

My fiance is a Chinese citizen working in Japan under a work visa. I am in the Navy and due to PCS back to New Mexico for the next 2 years.

The problem is, my fiance is pregnant. I'm currently doing all the paperwork in order to get married "the navy way". However, there is still the issue of her visa.

She is due to give birth in February and I am leaving in December. I realize there is simply not enough time for her to come back to the US with me so she is moving back to China so her family can help her until the visa issue is resolved and then come live with me.

Now, I am simply at a loss as to what the best way to handle this is. I appreciate any advice.

Currently still processing marriage paperwork, but that should be a non-issue.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: Chinese Fiance living in Japan

You have a couple of choices. She can process for an immigrant visa in Japan, and then she will have six months from the time it is issued to enter the US. In the alternative, she can process for her immigrant visa in China. To do that, she will have to physically travel to Guangzhou for the interview. Your child, of course, will be a US citizen, so all he or she will need is a passport.

3. njkt

njkt Junior Member

It would be easier if she came with me, going to china isn't exactly the easiest thing for me to do.

For her to come with me, does she only need an approved I-130?

Thank you for your time.

4. Ron Gotcher

Are you in Japan with her now? If so, just go to the US Embassy and file an I-130 with them. Your wife should be prepared to file a DS230 at the same time. They can process her green card in a few weeks. This only works if you are living in Japan. If not, you have to go through the CIS to get the I-130 approved.

5. njkt

njkt Junior Member

We are both currently in japan.

Thank you for your help.

6. Ron Gotcher

Put together an I-130/DS230 package now. File it with the US Embassy in Tokyo. Your wife should be able to get her green card in a few weeks.