1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Job And Location With Same Employer-impact On Gc

Discussion in 'AC 21 H-1B Issues' started by chak23, Oct 25, 2014.

1. chak23

chak23 New Member

All-

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on my situation.

I am currently on my 8th year of my H1B visa. I have an approved Labor and I-140 based on my existing position with my current employer (PD:Aug 2012). My H1B is valid till April 2017 ,which was approved based on the I-140 approval. The situation at my current job is quite dicey and looking to move to a new position. I was fortunate to interview with a more stable division within my company and things look promising. The new position is based in a different location(I live in the mid-west and the new position is in the east coast). The hiring team is looking into the impact of my H1B/GC along with the corporate lawyer before making the final decision. I have my finger crossed and I would appreciate any input to the below questions-

1.Will I require a new H1B petition or just an amendment? The titles for both positions are the same within minor differences in job responsibilities. The location is completely different though.
    2. Will I get 3 full years on my H1B for the new position (based on an approved I-140) or will it extend till the current expiration?
    3.If I end up moving, will I need to re-start my GC process from scratch? I read somewhere that it might be possible to not redo the process if the change is within the same company?
    4. Last question is very subjective but I am going to seek opinions anyway- With the EO a possibility, would a move to a new position within the same company negate some of the benefits that might be available if the EO dream comes true?

Again, would greatly appreciate any help..
    Thanks!

2. chak23

chak23 New Member

Anyone?Would greatly appreciate any input..

3. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Generally, applicants in this situation need a petition amendment.