1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Employers , Can It Be Possible ?

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Applications' started by massmaharaj, Jun 28, 2014.

1. massmaharaj

massmaharaj New Member

I have approved i140 with my current employer under eb2 with job name A and job roles are A1, my client offereed me a fte now, that will be job name as B and Job roles are B1,
    Here Job name A does not match with Job name B
    and Job name A all roles A1 does not match 100 % with job name B all roles B1

1.if i go for fte , can i use my earlier priority date ( that is which i got from my employeer)
    2.My employer will not provide the any experience letters will that be fine?

Please let me know

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Once an I-140 is approved, unless it is revoked for fraud or mistake, the beneficiary gets to keep the priority date, no matter what.

3. DamperGreen

DamperGreen Junior Member

Hi Ron,

I have a related question. Assuming I move to a different employer that does not file an I-140 for me. But my previous employer doesn't redact the I-140 filed on my behalf. In such a situation, am I eligible for H1-B extension if I have already extended more than twice ?

Thanks.

4. DamperGreen

Just a clarification to my above question - what I mean is, am I eligible for H1-B extension with the new employer after the usual 3 years duration with new employer even if the new employer hasn't filed a PERM application but the last employer hasn't withdrawn theirs.

5. Ron Gotcher

Yes you are. It doesn't matter who you are working for, if you have an approved I-140 that remains valid (not withdrawn), then you are entitled to an extension of up to three years.

6. Ron Gotcher

Again, yes you are.

7. DamperGreen

Thanks for the quick response, Ron !

I really appreciate all the pro-bono work you put here on this forum. Thank you.

8. DamperGreen

By the way, I am assuming that that I-140, even though it remains valid will never qualify for AoS because I don't work for the employer that filed it. And the new employer hasn't filed a new one.

9. Ron Gotcher

The I-140 is valid only for the employer that filed it. You are entitled to retain the priority date from it, but you will need a new PERM/I-140 from a sponsoring employer.

10. DamperGreen

So what happens when the I-140 date from last employer becomes current while one has switched jobs with a new H1-B but no new PERM. Does it just remain current for eternity because the person can no longer file for AoS against it ?

11. Ron Gotcher

Eventually, the government will purge the record if the I-140 is not used.