1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Employer On Ead

Discussion in 'AC 21 I-140 Portability' started by Neeraj79, Aug 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Neeraj79

Neeraj79 New Member

Hello All,

i am currently working on my EAD card. This is my 4th year on EAD and i am with my current employer for past 8 years. I had a question about changing jobs on EAD card.

If i am changing my employer on EAD, do i need sponsorship from my new employer to carry on with the Green Card process ? Meaning...if my new employer asks me if i need sponsorship in future, what exactly is the answer to that ? I am confused if i should say yes or no. I am assuming the answer is yes because the employer will need to sponsor my last phase of GC sponsorship when my priority date becomes current.

What paperwork does my new employer need to do in order to port me over and continue with further GC process ? One more question...will changing employers have any effect on my spouse's H4 EAD card ?

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

I'm assuming that you applied for adjustment of status? If it has been more than six months since you filed, you are free to change employers without the new employer doing anything more than giving you a job offer when the USCIS asks for it later.

3. Neeraj79

Neeraj79 New Member

Thank you Ron. But Wont my new employer have some part to play when my Priority date becomes current ? Wouldn't that qualify as requiring sponsorship because employer will need to file some paperwork that time for applying for GC ?

4. Ron Gotcher

Have you or have you not applied for adjustment of status? If you haven't how did you get an EAD card?

5. Neeraj79

Neeraj79 New Member

Hello Ron, Sorry yes I-485 has been filed already. I have got my EAD and AP by filing I-765 and I-131 respectively. My current situation is i am waiting on for my priority date to be current to qualify for the final stage of GC.

6. Ron Gotcher

Thanks for clarifying. You new employer will have to verify that you are working in the same or similar occupational classification, when asked by the USCIS.