1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change Of Status Fromh4 Student To F1 Student /need Urgennt Help

Discussion in 'College and University Faculty' started by kusmar9, May 3, 2016.

1. kusmar9

kusmar9 New Member

Hi all
    My daughter who is currently with H4 visa ( she came to USA in the year 2010 along with us and I am with H1 VISA ) and enrolled in under graduate course and soon attains her 21st Birthday.
    I was made to understand that she can not be with H4 VISA once she attains 21st Birthday and she has to change her status from H4 to F1...Is that right ?!
    If so I need your advise for the following points because she was asked write a letter by her college to USCIS describing her current status and why want to change current status H4 to F1..
    1..Can she write that she cannot be with H4 VISA once she attains her 21 st Birthday and hence she wants her change her status from H4 to F1?
    3.As She needs to give valid reasons that she intend to go back to her home country ,India after her completion of graduation..if so which valid reason she can give because her parents also here in USA.
    4.Is there any other valid reason she has to give as to why she wants to change her status to from H4 to F1
    Thanks in advance

2. Michelle Choe

Michelle Choe Attorney at Law

Hi Kusmar9, only spouses and children (under 21 years of age) of H-1B holders qualify for H-4 status. She will have to apply for her change of status to F-1 prior to her 21st birthday. The F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa. Therefore, the goal behind the letter to the USCIS is to show that she will only be in the U.S. for temporary study and has no intent to permanently move to the U.S. She should thus explain reasons why her studies are only temporary and her intent is to use the skills/education gained in the U.S. back in her home country to obtain a job.

Ron Gotcher likes this.