1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Certificate of naturalization vs Marriage certificate

Discussion in 'Naturalization to become a US citizen' started by kymcoco, Aug 12, 2009.

1. kymcoco

kymcoco Junior Member

Hi Ron,

I have a question and need your help.

I made a stupid mistake during the naturalization interview.

In the begining of this year, I went back to my country and registered for marriage with my girl friend(she is not an US citizen or PR).

When I came back and send the N-400 for USCIS in April, I filled my marital status as single because I thought I did the registration in my country, not in USA.

Today, I found what I thought was wrong because marriage is valid no matter where you registered for it.

Therefore, my certificate of naturalization shows that I am still single in the date I took the oath. However, the date of my Taiwanese marriage certificate is earlier than that date, which means I gave the wrong information during the interview.

I have several questions:

1. If my girl friend and I register for marriage again in the US, and then using this US marriage certificate for immigration purposes. Will this help?

2. Should I go to the immigration office and tell them the truth? Would they cancel or removal my citizenship if they found this? It's obvious just a mistake because no matter I filled my marital status as single or married, it wouldn't affected the decision of my application since my green card is NOT marital based. And since we registered in the beginning of this year, It won't afftect my previous tax return information.

3. If the worst case scenario happens, USCIS want to cancel or removal my citizenship after they find this, can I still hire a lawyer trying to get my citizenship back since I didn't use this incorrect information to gain any immigration benefits?

Thanks for the helps in advance.

Sincerely,
    David

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: Certificate of naturalization vs Marriage certificate

You made a good faith mistake that doesn't really affect anything. The easiest way to fix it would be to just do a new marriage ceremony here.

3. kymcoco

kymcoco Junior Member

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply. I have one more question for you.

My girl friend is not in the US right now. If we have the marriage ceremony in Guam, will it also have the same effect as we did the ceremony in the US?

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
    David

4. Ron Gotcher

Marrying in Guam is fine.

5. kymcoco

kymcoco Junior Member

Thanks Ron. I have a last quesiton.

If I contact immigration office to mention this mistake, can they help me to fix it? or will they cancel my citizenship? Should I hire a lawyer to take care of this problem? Thanks again.

Sincerely,
    David

6. Ron Gotcher

They can't denaturalize you because this is not a material issue. Definitely let them know so that they can correct their records, but don't worry about it.

7. kymcoco

kymcoco Junior Member

I feel much better after having your answer. I really appreciate it. Thanks Ron.

David

8. francisco38660

francisco38660 New Member

Hi Ron,

We're in same situation. None of us got immigration benefit via marriage but I mistakenly reported myself as single when I applied for naturalization because our marriage certificate was issued by a foreign country and we hadn't had it recorded here in the US. So we need to to the county clerk office to request for marriage license and do the ceremony again, right? Or we bring our foreign certificate to only have another ceremony?

Thank you very much.

9. francisco38660

francisco38660 New Member

Hi David,

Could you share your experience of the 2nd ceremony in Guam a bit? Thank you very much.