1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can We Extend H-4 Status After Working On Ead With A Pending I-485.

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Validity' started by NeelV, Jun 4, 2015.

1. NeelV

NeelV Junior Member

Hi,

Before posting a question, I tried searching for a similar scenario, but could not find a match.

Background:
    Our I-485 is pending (I-485 applied Feb 2012. EB2-I. PD Dec 2009. ).
    However, I have continued to maintain H-1 status. I had transferred my H-1 to another employer 1 year after filing I-485 and also filed an AC-21 letter.

My spouse had started working on the EAD after my H-1 got transferred.

When I renew my H-1, can we file a I-539 for her to extend her H-4 status?

Specifically, I-539 asks on questions 3.a, 3.b, 3.c whether an immigrant petition has been filed, or whether a I-485 has been filed. 3.g asks whether you are working.

We will have to answer Yes to these questions.

Note that we have not traveled outside the US and re-entered on parole status.

Question:
    Does this result in denial of the I-539 application for extending the H-4 status?

Thanks.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

If she no longer wishes to work and she has not traveled using advance parole, yes she can. I can't imagine why she would want to, but she can if she wishes.

3. NeelV

NeelV Junior Member

Thanks for the response Ron.

I'm am surprised that she would lose her ability to work when if extend her H-4 status. We certainly would not want to lose that benefit.

As she is utilizing the EAD, is she not in H-4 status now? And would need to use the Advanced Parole for travel independent of my H-1B status?

I was under the impression that her H-4 status continues as-is and she has the ability to work as long as the EAD is not expired.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

If she is using an EAD that she got through AOS before May 26th, she is not in H4 status.

5. NeelV

NeelV Junior Member

Got it. Thanks,