1. When we moved over to the new software, the passwords did not import properly. If you are unable to login and post messages, please send your username to inquiries@gotcherlaw.com and we will reset your password. We apologize for the inconvenience.

can divorce cause problems with citizenship?

Discussion in 'Naturalization to become a US citizen' started by tingting, Oct 25, 2011.

1. tingting

tingting Junior Member

Dear Ron,
    I was married in 2003 to my ex husband who is a US citizen and received my 10yr green card in 10/2006. Our marriage fell apart and we eventually got a divorce in 7/2008. we separated some time in early 2007, which was a few month after I received the green card.
    I have a citizenship interview next week. I am worried that I would have problem because of the divorce and the fact that my green card was based on the marriage.
    Do I need to bring all the documents that proves the marriage was entered in good faith?
    Thanks.
  2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: can divorce cause problems with citizenship?

The divorce itself will not cause any problems for you. You are applying under the five year statute, not the three year spouse of a U.S. citizen statute. As such, the divorce is wholly irrelevant.
  3. tingting

tingting Junior Member

Re: can divorce cause problems with citizenship?

Thank you Ron!