1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Border Security

Discussion in 'Immigration legislation' started by Ron Gotcher, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

Anything that drastically changes immigration policy if bound to fail as it makes the natives insecure. S.744 is one such bill.

2. ColumbusDude

ColumbusDude Active Member

It is just like the HR240 that was attached with EO Provisions and went nowhere if it was not clean. Republicans messed it up.

The original HR3012 was introduced just to adjust the Per Country limit only and nothing else. It was hijacked by Grassley with his hold and poison pill amendment which was not liked by the Business Community and they stopped pushing it. Then the Irish got into the act and added their own piece and it became a mess. Reid had already lined up the full Calendar year and there was no place for this legislation which had too many poison pills. Don't blame the Dems for the failure of HR3012. It is the Republicans who need to be blamed.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  3. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

You want a bill that will help you but you don't want the lawmakers to add any clause which they think is necessary to prevent something that they thing has been abused.

4. ColumbusDude

Dude you are now arguing like the Republicans. There is a separate Bill for H1B issues - S.153. The People who want to lump that H1B Bill into an easy to pass GC Bill (HR213) are the obstructionists who do not want any immigration at all. It is a well known fact. Some lawmakers like Chaffetz have understood the controversial nature of the H1B provisions and separated the Per Country limits from that controversy into a separate Bill - HR3012 and HR213 so it could be easy to pass, but the obstructionists like Grassley and Sessions have just killed such easy to pass Bills with poison pills because they cannot get any support for their H1B Bills.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/jeff-sessions-dhs-immigration-115777.html

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I am not . All I am saying is that just like any other law, the amendment to per-country cap has some unknown side-effects, whether you accept it is left to you. The fact is the primary beneficiaries of HR.3012 would have been Indian Nationals. Therefore it was only natural for people like Grassley to add amendments to prevent misuse of H1B by India based IT companies.

They agree with fairness in immigration but they also want to ensure that Indian IT consultants don't get an unfair advantage.

I would have blamed the republicans if Reid placed it for a vote and the bill got defeated, they had plenty of time to do it.

6. gten20

gten20 Junior Member

7. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

8. asdk

asdk New Member

Dont hold your breath for Hatches bill to pass. The possibility dimmed to almost 0% when Sessions took charge of Immigration panel

9. asdk

asdk New Member

Ron, do you even remotely see any pro immigration bills passing Senate??

10. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

It is really hard to say. Under the present circumstances, I think that it is all but impossible for anything to pass. At the same time, Republicans may come to their senses and realize that an anti-immigration strategy will cost them the White House and could cost them the Senate next year. In that case, they might decide to move something. Otherwise, I really don't see anything happening.

11. ColumbusDude

Dude you are either not getting the point or deliberately ignoring it. HR3012 was a Bill that adjusted Per Country Limits for GC's and I have already explained the very reason it was limited to that by the author of the Bill - Chaffetz. Piling on H1B poison pills killed the bill. I am not debating the H1B provisions that Grassley seeks, they should be in a separate Bill because there are a lot of law makers (not to mention the Businesses) who do not share his views on that and if put to vote by itself the H1B provisions Bill will not pass. The only reason a clean DHS Bill was passed was precisely that - it was clean. So a clean per country limits bill should be just that. Grassley sat on the HR3012 for 1 year and then attached his poison pills and you expect Reid to just move the Bill with poison pills, which as I mentioned are not favored by a majority of the law makers and businesses. There was no time for the Bill to be passed in the Senate and then sent back to the House and a possible conference. So Reid just canned it.

12. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I get your point. According to you a bill should be passed as is and no amendments should be made even if there are some undesirable side-effects.

It was not a poison pill, there are genuine concerns of H1B abuse and it was bound to increase if per-country cap was removed as getting a gc would be lot easier.They wanted to fix the problem and the potential side -effects together.

13. ColumbusDude

Ron, with the DHS Bill having been passed, would it a good idea to close this thread?

14. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.