1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bankruptcy and impact to Naturalization

Discussion in 'Businesses' started by MahiX, Apr 3, 2013.

1. MahiX

MahiX Junior Member

Dear Ron.. Need your help.
    I applied for my parents GC few years back . After a year or so of receiving their GC they had started their own business . Although the never made profit out of that business they have tried to keep it afloat for a few years but it is at a point where they have given up on it . Business is a franchise where they have a lease on the property of business location that they cannot afford to pay rent on any longer . They are evaluating if they should file for bankruptcy as they dont see any other options at this point . They have also recently filed for naturalization . Would it impact their naturalization or GC in case they dont find any other viable option other than filing bankruptcy ? Would it impact me or my family since we filed for their GC and signed affidavit of support .
    Your help is greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: Bankruptcy and impact to Naturalization

Unless your parents apply for means tested public benefits, this will have no effect on you or on their naturalization. You are not liable for their debts, other than those incurred as a result of welfare payments by public entities.