1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alien wife of a US army soldier.

Discussion in 'Serving military and military families' started by cattcatt, Feb 26, 2010.

1. cattcatt

cattcatt Junior Member

i'm mexican and my fiance is a soldier in active duty, i'm marrying him next week in mexico, but we don't know yet if i can move with him to the U.S. after the marriage or if there's some process we have to follow before i can move with him, i don't have any kind of visa. ;confused;

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: alien wife of a US army soldier.

He needs to file an I-130 petition for you after you are married. When it is approved, you will become eligible to receive an immigrant visa.

3. cattcatt

cattcatt Junior Member

thanks :) do you know how long does that take? i've heard it takes a long time...:err;

4. Ron Gotcher

The I-130 can get processed in about three to four months. If you have no other way of getting to the US before getting a green card, he can file an I-129F petition for a K3 visa for you. That way, you may be able to come here shortly after they approve your husband's I-130 petition.

5. Jorgeacg

Jorgeacg Junior Member

I'm a U.S. army soldier married with a Mexican lady, Do I need to pay all the filling fees for the immigration forms like a civilian or they get waive?
    Some one knows?

6. Ron Gotcher

Normally, everyone must pay the full filing fees. The USCIS does, however, make provision for fee waivers. If you ask for a fee waiver, you will need to show the financial reason why you can't afford to pay the fees. This could also impact your affidavit of support filing requirement, so be careful.