1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*About to start my naturalization process, but have some questions. Please help.*

Discussion in 'Serving military and military families' started by Laurita_, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Laurita_

Laurita_ Junior Member

Hello! I am about to start filing for naturalization, but don't know under which eligibility to do it under. I became a permanent resident back in May 2006, I am married to a U.S. citizen since 2007. I know I already qualify for naturalization due to the amount of years I have been a permanent resident, plus the amount of years I have been married to my husband. My husband is an active duty U.S. Army soldier. I was looking at the N-400 application and it gives me several eligibility options, but I dont know under which one to do it. They have: (1.) Permanent resident for 5 years, (2.) Permanent resident for 3 years married to a U.S. citizen, (3.) Eligibility due to military service, and (4.) Other. Which one do I pick? Also, I lived with my husband abroad under military orders. I was told that the time spent outside of the United States still counts as continuous and physical presence in the United States, because I was in my husband's military orders. So, does this mean that I don't have to fill out the section where it says to write down the amount of days I have been outside of the United States? That time was the only time I have spent outside of the United States, which was two years. I could have filed for expedited naturalization while abroad, but we weren't married for three years yet. I would really appreciate it if someone can help me. I don't want to send something and have it being rejected, because I filed it the wrong way. One more thing, with all the additional paperwork that I have to send with my application do I have to send a copy of my husband's orders where it states that I was under official orders with him abroad? Thank you so much in advance. :)

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: *About to start my naturalization process, but have some questions. Please help.*

You appear to qualify under the three year statute. That is, for the past three years, you have held a green card and been married to a U.S. citizen.