1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

221g for arrest record

Discussion in 'NIV applications in India' started by Ice-man, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Ice-man

Ice-man Junior Member

I appeared for my H1b visa renewal intereview on Mar 21st, 2012 at New Delhi. I had an arrest record from 2006 for shoplifting. The case was dismissed and from what I understand, even if for some reason the visa officer were to count it as a conviction, it qualified for a one time petty offence exception. I got an H1B stamped in Mar 2010 at New Delhi without any issues. But during my current interview the visa officer kept my passport and the court document and issued a 221g admin processing. I was not asked to submit any documents. My questions are:

1. What exactly is the admin processing for - is the VO trying to get and verify facts about my case or are they trying to do an FBI check to see if there are some other cases or something else?
    2. How much time is such processing likely to take?

Thanks for your comments.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: 221g for arrest record

Most likely, it is for a background check. Figure on about two weeks of processing before they get back to you.

3. Ice-man

Ice-man Junior Member

Thanks Ron. Appreciate the response.

4. yydv

yydv Junior Member

Ice-Man: Any updates on your case? Have you received your passport.

I have a similar case. I was arrested for a domestic battery and case was dropped on first hearing with "nolle prosequi" verdict.
    I appeared for Stamping on April 18th and VO kept my passport along with court papers and arrest documents.

Although, It has only been a week and half but I am quite restless about this whole thing.

5. lost4life

lost4life Junior Member

To iceman and yydv.
    please update with your outcome 221g , my husband have similar case of DV arrest and have been waiting since 3 months now. please share your experiences as only people who have gone through know how stressfull it is, and your experience/outcome/result might help someone. Thank you.
    email me at lost4lif221g@gmail.com

6. indiaus

indiaus Junior Member

Hi lost4life,

I am in the same boat. I am on H1b working in US, came to India for a vacation, went for stamping and got a 221g for an arrest record in 2011. My application status shows Administrative processing. Do you have any updates. I am stressing out a lot. Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

7. indiaus

indiaus Junior Member

Hi Ice-man,
    Can you share your experience - How long it takes, is it approved or still pending. I am struggling through the same situation and dont have any idea how long it will take.
    Thanks.

8. Davidbabuvictor

Davidbabuvictor New Member

I am in the same boat. I am on H1b working in US, came to India for a vacation, went for stamping and got a 221g for an arrest record in 2010. My application status shows Administrative processing. Do you have any updates. I am stressing out a lot. Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

I appreciate your help

David