1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

21 Charged With Student-visa Fraud After Feds Open Fake College In Nj

Discussion in 'Criminality' started by Ron Gotcher, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

"It was little more than a storefront — manned by undercover agents posing as corrupt school administrators — but over several years the University of Northern New Jersey flushed out more than 1,000 foreigners seeking fraudulent student and foreign worker visas to unlawfully stay and work in this country, U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman said Tuesday."

Read the full article at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/21-...-after-feds-open-fake-college-in-nj-1.1538745

2. speedracer

speedracer Guru

frankly.. I wonder what took the DHS years to figure out fraud.. speaks to ability to protect nation and caliber of govt personnel.. giving GC to terrorists in CA.. without background check.. and now this.. when are they going to learn..

3. speedracer

speedracer Guru

isn't it a coincidence that this news came out .. after the STEM OPT rule was finalized?? what would have happened if they released this news back in December..??

4. Ron Gotcher

This sting has been going on for years.

5. no_one_cares

no_one_cares Guru

Is this not entrapment. Apart from this, did they not destroy the careers of thousands of innocent students? Could have been much easier to bust these bogus employers some other way without playing with future of poor students, who invest all the life savings of their parents. A very sorry day indeed.

JeffDiw likes this.
  6. speedracer

speedracer Guru

for the students who did attend this school.. knew that it was scam and still went through the process.. I guess they took Einstein quite literally.. where there imagined a lot and had no knowledge taught in classes..
    Its not just one school but many schools and students that misuse CPT and OPT .. but the fact remains that there is a wide spread abuse.. and its been for the last 10+ years..
    starts with the fraud in F1.. to faking resumes .. to fraudulent H1b applications and GC applications.. many in Business analyst or QA or even Development roles in IT.. under the title of Consultants.. and over the years get real experience .. but if they started with fake experience and resume.. that's still going to get them in trouble .. sooner or later..

7. Ron Gotcher

No one "attended" this school. They didn't have a faculty or classrooms. It was all fake and everyone involved knew it was fake - including the "students."

8. speedracer

speedracer Guru

How is it that the students are not be indicted in case.. article mentioned Facebook and other large organization's employee.. aren't these employers responsible for negligent hiring ..

9. Ron Gotcher

These are only the first indictments. I'm sure there will be hundreds more as the case develops.

10. speedracer

speedracer Guru

I hope there is a domino effect.. and the house of cards collapse to make sure those who are guilty pay and / or deported..

11. Ron Gotcher

12. speedracer

speedracer Guru

@Ron Gotcher , do you think it would be a good idea to write a blog or forum entry to educate people on how to report H1b abuses , Frauds in H1b and GC.. frauds that people know are happening but don't say primarily coz they don't know how to report it and / or they fear the repercussion ..
    may be include links to where they can go to report.. or numbers to call..

13. Ron Gotcher

Great idea. I'll work something up.

14. speedracer

speedracer Guru

you may have done it in past.. but if we can refresh it.. and post it.. it will help a lot of people to know that they are not trapped

15. Ron Gotcher

I've given out that information piecemeal in the past. It needs to be consolidated into one place.

16. speedracer

speedracer Guru

17. no_one_cares

no_one_cares Guru

A good number of students came from abroad through this college. How easy do you think it's for the students abroad to find out the legitimacy of a college?

18. speedracer

speedracer Guru

not sure but there is USIEF.. which is a good resource for students coming to US.. it is located in all major metro areas. It is also online..

and for the students who came.. knew this is fraud... they researched and found it.. this university is not in any top 100 or 500 list of universities any way.. so .. the students sought this one out..

19. specifione

specifione Junior Member

In the past below used to be criteria for selecting USA schools
    1)School rating and assistant-ship/financial aid opportunities(atleast from 2nd sem)
    2)Lower fees and on-campus jobs
    3)If nothing works then getting admission to the school where of-campus opportunity exist to cover fees (Everyone knows of campus is not permitted but its common)

but in all of the above situation the ultimate goal is to complete MS attending classes..
    After H1b lottery people who completed Masters and not selected in H1b started evaluating more options to stay in country and started applying for double masters in universities which are lenient on attending classes or providing weekend classes to get CPT.

With H1B lottery consulting firms business improved a lot as regular small companies reduced FT hiring for freshly graduated foreign students because of uncertainty over H1b pickups....After studying 1.5 to 3 years people had to join consulting firm basically nullifying those 3 years effort towards degree..

Then few smart people come-up with universities whose sole aim is to generate money. These universities worked as gate way to USA for people.They simply come to USA join these universities and instead of spending 2-3 years for Masters they join consulting firm and start working from the week they landed in USA..

You can get I20 overnight from these universities..Once you pay for the fees you get CPT and no need to attend classes. After trivially university/other cases things changed a little..

IT Consulting Firms/Students(Atleast 70% if not 100%)/University People all involved in this..It worked for few perfectly without any issues which motivated others to do same like chain reaction..

I even heard that couple of Consulting companies in CA Bay area only take college student and place them in near by companies by paying peanuts...for student those peanuts are more because of their situation.for that time win-win situation..

20. Ron Gotcher

If I were a foreign student and I enrolled at a school with no faculty or classrooms, I think I'd be suspicious. In point of fact, everyone who attended this "school" knew that it was fake. They enrolled to get work authorization.