Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
H1 Stamping in Vancouver - Egyptian Nationals & Security Checks Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 Stamping in Vancouver - Egyptian Nationals & Security Checks

Hi Ron,

I was on F1, OPT, then changed status to H1B, and got it approved. I am Egyptian and booked appointment in Vancouver for stamping. At time of interview (Dec 2012), I will be 16 months with my company as full-time employee. I got my Masters in Architecture from the US and have about 2 years of experience in the US including Lecturer for graduate course at a reputable US university.

My original plan was stamping in Cairo, Egypt in October. However, I called the consulate over there and they asked for a lot of documentation. Required documents include financial ties to my home country, proof of property ownership in home country, green card or passports of friends (awkward) and relatives living in the US, and passports of wife and children, etc. They didnít mention anything about if youíre single; they said you HAVE to provide passport of wife even she has not been to US before. Iím afraid they wonít give it to single people. Insane requirement irrelevant to the H1B. I am afraid they donít issue this type of visa a lot so they might not be familiar with it.

Any advise? Canada or Cairo? Is Vancouver still a good place or people are getting 221g nowadays? any advise on being Egyptian and security delays? Note that I had US B1/B2 visa before two times each for 5 years multiple, and I had my F1 visa for 5 years multiple. I have good records with US visas and coming to US visiting and leaving on time. When I was on F1, I went back home to Cairo 5 times during school breaks and never had issues at POE.

Thanks,
    Mo

Re: H1 Stamping in Vancouver - Egyptian Nationals & Security Checks

I'd go with Canada.
    Ron

James Ronald Gotcher
    Global Immigration Partners
    4505 Las Virgenes Road, Suite 107
    Calabasas, CA 91302

818-914-6482
    Inquiries@GotcherLaw.com

Comment

even if my name is a very common Muslim name? I heard any muslim name is put under 'admin processing'

Comment

Not necessarily. It depends on the name and what shows up in the database as being associated with that name. If it is nothing, then there is no need for further processing. If you share the same name as someone who has been involved in certain types of activities, then they will need to take some time to verify that you are not that person. The same will be true if you go to any other country, however. Often, in Canada, when they have to do that kind of processing, they let you come back to the U.S. and wait while it is being done.
        Ron

James Ronald Gotcher
        Calabasas, CA 91302

818-914-6482
        Inquiries@GotcherLaw.com

Comment

i currently have an I-94 with F1 status and a new I-94 with the approved H1B. So I should not give my I-94 cards when I depart the US in case I want to come back on same status?

Comment

If you go to Canada to apply for a visa, you are not eligible to return using just your I-94. Please read this article: http://www.imminfo.com/Library/tempo...a-niv-app.html
            Ron

James Ronald Gotcher
            Calabasas, CA 91302

818-914-6482
            Inquiries@GotcherLaw.com

Comment

Hi mo

Im in the exact same situation as you. I am Egyptian currently working on OPT and my H1 is approved so I'm planning on going to canada to get the H1 stamp. I've heard good and bad stories about this experience so I think in the end it will come down to luck.

Let me know if you here about anything with regards to our situation, since we're in the same boat!

Good luck
              ahmed

Comment

@gooner4life, I went for stamping and was put under admin processing in Vancouver. Email me at manselsheikh at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by manssy View Post
                  @gooner4life, I went for stamping and was put under admin processing in Vancouver. Email me at manselsheikh at gmail.com
                  Hi Mansyy

I too got 221G, I sent you an email so we can communicate.

Comment

Hi Guys! I'm in the exact same boat. Interview date was Nov 20th and haven't heard back from the consulate yet.
                    I hope you guys got yours by now... do you mind sharing how long it took?

Comment

Working...
                    X