Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Can a SSN be issued on child's approved I-130, even if there's no A# yet? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a SSN be issued on child's approved I-130, even if there's no A# yet?

My husband (US citizen) will be filing the I-130 for his 12 yr old stepdaughter soon. She is outside the US and it will be sent to the US consulate near her. She will only be able to move to the US in July 2010 because she has to abide by school rules in both countries.

She needs to have a SSN as soon as she arrives here (needed for health insurance coverage), and apparently the SSN can only be issued on an alien number (which was NOT on the approved I-130 I received during my own immigration process). Some representatives at USCIS says that an A# is issued on an approved I-130, some say not, only on I-485 (as in my own case).

So if the A# is not on the approved I-130 notice, how do I go about getting a SSN for her without waiting until the I-485 is filed and approved (is there a "restricted" SSN one can apply for?)

I appreciate your replies, thank you.

Re: Can a SSN be issued on child's approved I-130, even if there's no A# yet?

The A number will appear on her immigrant visa (stamped in her passport), so she will be able to get an SSN as soon as she arrives.
    Ron

James Ronald Gotcher
    Global Immigration Partners
    4505 Las Virgenes Road, Suite 107
    Calabasas, CA 91302

818-914-6482
    Inquiries@GotcherLaw.com

Comment

@ DGDC, were you in fact able to apply a SSN for your daughter? I am in the exact same situation as you are last year and am confused if I need to file both the I-130 and I-485. If the I-130 alone is enough for me to get my 14-year old stepdaughter a SSN and U.S. passport when she gets here then I won't be filing the I-485. I get thrown out by the term "permanent resident"; I don't know if the I-130 will achieve that or if that is something I will need the I-485 for. Thanks!

Comment

A I-485 will not get her a US Passport, that's certain.

My daughter has an ITIN, not an SSN, because her status in the US does not permit employment. She's fully covered by my health insurance with the ITIN.

Comment

A social security number can only be issued once there is an A-number. My daughter did consular immigration, she went for her interview abroad, got a sealed pack which we presented to the immigration officer at customs when we entered the US. Within about 6 minutes they checked it over, had her sign a document, and told us, "everything is ok, you can go home!". We went to social security offices one day later, and they found her A-number written into her passport, but also checked online, and said that she was "allready in the system", so they could do the necessary docs to apply for the ss card right away. The card arrived about 10 days later.

We also received a welcome letter stating her A-number and informing us that we should hear from USCIS within the next 30 days (I assume this will be her I-551 card??? - I will post back here when it's received) and form I-797C showing a receipt notice that her immigrant visa and alien registration petition was filed on the date she went for her consular interview abroad. Her visa category is IR2.

I am awaiting further instructions (and most probably more fees!) from USCIS, as the immigrant visa on which she entered is only valid for 6 months.

I will post updates here.

Comment

Thank you DGDC! Do you remember how long the entire process took for her I-130, from the date you mailed the form to the date she was approved? My stepdaughter is also at another country and they said that our cases are handled faster because they are processed at the consular local to the child's hometown.

Comment

Originally posted by DGDC View Post
              A social security number can only be issued once there is an A-number. My daughter did consular immigration, she went for her interview abroad, got a sealed pack which we presented to the immigration officer at customs when we entered the US. Within about 6 minutes they checked it over, had her sign a document, and told us, "everything is ok, you can go home!". We went to social security offices one day later, and they found her A-number written into her passport, but also checked online, and said that she was "allready in the system", so they could do the necessary docs to apply for the ss card right away. The card arrived about 10 days later.

We also received a welcome letter stating her A-number and informing us that we should hear from USCIS within the next 30 days (I assume this will be her I-551 card??? - I will post back here when it's received) and form I-797C showing a receipt notice that her immigrant visa and alien registration petition was filed on the date she went for her consular interview abroad. Her visa category is IR2.

I am awaiting further instructions (and most probably more fees!) from USCIS, as the immigrant visa on which she entered is only valid for 6 months.

I will post updates here.
              I don't know about you, but I have no "A" number, and I have a completely valid SSN.

Comment

Hi Medyo

I'll try to give as accurate a time line as possible:

May 4, 2009: Receipt notice from USCIS for I130 ($355)
                August 10, 2009: Approval notice from USCIS for I130 petition, notice that petition was sent to National visa center.
                August 25, 2009: I received the invoice to pay the affidavit of support fee of $70, but wasn't sure whether I wanted to proceed with consular immigration, so this notice expired, and I re-applied for a new invoice to be issued, once we decided to continue with consular immigration.
                28 Sept 2009: NVC sent packet containing the Affidavit of Support (I-864) Processing Fee Invoice of $70.
                April 14, 2010: NVC sent email invoice for $400 for visa application fee, which was paid online.
                April 29, 2010: Paid the affidavit of support fee of $70 online.
                4 May 2010: received receipt for $70 aff of support fee payment.
                1st June 2010: we overnighted form ds230 (which was filled in and signed by my daughter in Cape Town and sent to us instead of directly to the NVC)
                14 June 2010: we overnighted form I864 with all docs.
                24 August 2010: we had to resend our tax return because there was an error on it.
                6 October 2010: NVC emailed us the instructions and date of her interview at the consulate in Johannesburg. Appointment was set for November 17 2010.
                17 November 2010: interview at US consulate in Jnb, received passport with visa and sealed visa pack about 4 days later. When we arrived in the US on 12 December we went through customs, her a-number was written into her passport, and we were sent to the immigration section, where they took the sealed pack and had her sign a form.
                31 December 2010: she received her permanent resident card which expires in 2020.

I think if we hadn't wasted time by being undecided about whether to do consular imm or having her come to the US and do adjustment of status, the whole process would have been wrapped up earlier. The time line worked out very well in the end because she could finish her school year in SA, although she has to repeat 6 months of her grade here (rather than missing out on half of the next grade).

Consular immigration is so much easier and faster (and slightly cheaper) than adjustment of status. $70, $355, $400, approx $179 for medical (done in SA), (plus airfare if applicant have to commute for the interview), plus small courier cost for visa (after interview).

The NVC is very efficient at communicating everything via email. The only stressful aspect was trying to orchestrate everything so that the interview and the visa issuance would happen round about the time she finished her school term, because the visa is only good for 6 months after it's issued.

I hope this helps and is not too muddled. Good luck. And then, if you want to, you can apply for citizenship - if that is what you ultimately desire.

Comment

DGDC: Thank you VERY MUCH for the write up!! I was also confused about which route to go but you just helped me finally decide to do the Consular Processing. Good note too with the timing and the child's school, I didn't initially thought about that but now I'll be able to work on it.

You said you sent a DS-230 form on June 1, 2010. Was this also a form sent by the NVC to you or to the child? Was it part of the I-864 packet or a completely separate form? Also, I noticed that you didn't mention anything about a DS-3032 Form (Choice of Agent). Is this because your petition was for a minor child, therefore that form doesn't apply in your case?

I just mailed my I-130 to petition my step-child and now I am wondering if she will be getting a DS-3032 and if she is even qualified to sign that form since she is only 14 years old. I would think that all communication relating to her should be sent to me, but then again I don't know.

Finally, yes, the plan is for her to immediately apply for citizenship when she gets here. Her biological mother, my wife, just submitted her N-400 last month and we are expecting the naturalization process to be completed sometime in the third quarter this year. If all goes according to plan my wife would be a USC by the time her daughter arrives, thus satisfying all requirements for the child to apply for citizenship.

Comment

Hi Medyo

No, I did sign the choice of agent form, (right in the beginning) so that I could control most of it - my husband (her step-dad) is the petitioner, and seeing as I'm the mom, it was my responsibility to get it all "together".

The DS230 was signed and filled in by my daughter, I think the second part is not filled in because it has to be done under oath or in front of an officer (I can't remember too well now, but it is very clear on the form's instructions). She mailed it to me in the states, with photos, and I sent it all off in one packet along with other forms we had to submit at the time.

They were very strict about birth records though, I had a copy which was obtained from Home affairs in SA, but notarized by another notary, and they didn't want to accept that, we had to rush around to get another one issued AND signed by the issuing office (ie home affairs). This nearly caused a great upset to the applecart!

Hope all is well for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X